Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

papillary thyroid carcinoma Is it unusually large?

User Profile
My 40 y.o. sister has just been diagnosed with papillary thyroid carcinoma (not sure which stage). It's 2 cm. Is it unusually large?! She's due for a Total Thyroidectomy and to make things worse she has the condition Keloidosis.Although the scarring is least of my worries right now, I just wonder how big the scar will be, considering the size of the cancer....

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 29th, 2012
Thyroid Cancer Answer A30891
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎

The size of the keloid, that will be formed is not dependent on the size of the tumor. But it ‎is certainly related to the size of the incisions made during the surgery. ‎

But in case of papillary cancer, multiple incisions made be needed, to make sure that cancer ‎cells are completely removed. ‎

First and foremost, you need to undergo effective treatment for the thyroid cancer. Once it ‎has been done, care should be taken to allow proper healing and reduce the amount of ‎scar tissue. In case keloids are formed at a later stage, then proper steroid injections ‎should be given at the early stages, to help prevent keloid formations. ‎

I hope this helps.‎

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.