Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Papillary thyroid CA

I''m 54yo, was operated on last aug27''09 for multiple colloid goiter (MCG). frozen section and final biopsy confirmed MCG. the doctor performed sub-total thyroidectomy and isthmustectomy. follow-up after six months thru UTZ showed a hypoechoic nodule on the right lobe. my doctor performed UTZ guided biopsy. result was papillary carcinoma. my surgeon was stunned to hear this when he was informed by my endoc. i was scheduled for another operation for total thyroidectomy (TT) but my surgeon insist on having a Thyroid scan first because the nodule is nonpalpable (o.9 x 1 x 1 cm). my endoc says this nodule can only be seen by UTZ. i was advised to stop my thyroid hormone for at least 2 weeks b4 the TScan. my doctor said he will treat me with radioactive iodine therapy after operation. will the TT remove all the cancer? is there a possibility of it to recur later? what is my chance of survival? thanks for helping me.
The voice of a rural girl
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2010
You will require total thyroidectomy to treat this tumor. Your surgeon can also sample the lymph nodes in the center of the neck to see if the cancer has spread outside of the thyroid gland. You will also require radioactive iodine therapy after total thyroidectomy, to try and destroy any microscopic traces of thyroid cancer that might be left in your body after surgery.

The final "stage" of your cancer, after your surgery has been completed, will give your doctors an indication of the general risk of your thyroid cancer recurring in the future, but no doctor can tell any individual patient whether or not their cancer will come back, or whether or not they will eventually die of their cancer.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

www.oncoguard.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.