User Profile
I have been with my bf for over 4 years. I recently had my annual pap because I was in the process of getting my tubes tied. Everything came back negative, as it has been for the last 4 years that I have been with him. Today he told me that I needed to get tested because he tested positive for chlamydia. Is it possible for all my tests to have come back negative even if it was lying dormant in him? Please give me some answers because I feel like he has been unfaithful to me, and I am really hurting.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2008
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A5146
A PAP-test does not serve for detecting Chlamydia infection. A PAP-test basically serves for detecting precancerous and cancerous lesions of the cervix. A PAP-test can detect certain infections but not Chlamydia. Chlamydia is usually diagnosed with serological tests that detect Chlamydia antigens in a smear taken from the urethra or vagina.

You could request a Chlamydia test, too.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.