Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Panic disorder and racing heart

Hey there, ive experienced Panic disorder, and agoraphobia and GAD for about 3 and a half years, i see a shrink once a week and dont use medication.

I had completley stopped having panic attacks until a few months ago and they have now come back.

My problem is the racing heart etc doesn't scare me anymore but before i even get the racing heart now i feel like im going to black out instantly, i never actually have but i usually run out of wherever i am so i dont.

Has anyone here got the same problem or ever passed out?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 10th, 2009
I have NEVER met someone with the exact same problem I had! I was constantly afraid the I was going to black out or pass out and I never even knew why it was so scary. I was in 8th grade when I developed the phobia. My fear or passing out due to a panic attack was so bad that I couldn't go to school anymore. I thought that heat, excersize, too little food, most anything would cause me to faint and I avoided any of those situations. My problem got so bad that I even developed depression and wound up in out-patient treatment. I had a counselor there that told me something VERY valuable. She said that the one thing that your body fears the most isn't going to happen to you. Because I thought passing out was the worst thing that could happen, my body wouldn't allow it. I slowly was able to go back to school and had a chair placed outside the door so I knew I could leave if I had to. Slowly working your way back into normal situations is the best way to go. I really do wish you the best of luck, and I hope you find the right solution for you. Pleaseee contact me if you need anything, I'm super glad I found another person just like me.
Sincerely, Annahleise
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...