Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Panic attacks has anyone being totally cured?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
Hi everyone, just a quick post. I have suffered from panic attacks for 11 years now, there's barely a week goes by without experiencing one, I am at my wits end as everything that I have tried or has been suggested to me just doesnt seem to work.

I truly am wondering if this is how my life is meant to be - has anyone out there tried something that has either reduced the symptoms or eradicated them completely - I'm beginning to ever wonder if I'll get my life back.

I've tried hypnotherapy, NLP, Thought Field therapy, drugs, you name it, surely something is available that can work for me and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions based on their own experiences. Thanks Denise
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 6th, 2009
Hey there Denise..I really do feel for you, I started getting panic attacks at the beginning of this year, I have had them before but years ago, this time though it was worse.First I was convinced that it was a medical problem and I had every test you can imagine, they came back negative, I assumed they must of missed something. I had all the symptoms sweating,not being able to breath,, uncontrollable shaking,feeling like i wanted to vomit or have a bowel movement, the fear was huge.I was convinced I would die.The anti depressants I was prescribed made me sick, I had to take control of fear of losing my mind,now this is the hard bit...I had to tell myself that the panic attacks were in fact a normal reaction flight or fight...its your bodies way of dealing with danger...the vomiting and bowl movements are in fact to make you look less appetizing for prey and the shaking of the legs are you running from prey...its a normal reaction that has got out of control,you CAN get your life back ..I tried relaxation music and also tried Yoga as the breathing techniques are very good..breathing in through your tummy and then up to your chest through your nose not your mouth if possible for the count of 7 and then breath out slowly to the count of 11...Distraction is good as well, reading writing...when I felt an attack coming on I told myself that this cannot hurt me, I did my breathing and carried on with what I was doing...staying calm is the key, dont fight it...am I completely cured..no but I have not had an attack with palpitations for months now and at least I feel I am getting my life back, I still have breathing problems but I'm sure if I keep a positive attitude and relax
this to will pass..I don't know if any of my rambling will help you Denise but if nothing else you at least know there is hope...x
|

User Profile
replied July 27th, 2009
Hi Denise,
I suffered from horrible Panic attacks all of my adult life. Recently I posted on this site "Panic Attacks Hormonal" by uhlizza, you should read it. One thing I didn't mention though, should have is that say 80% was hormonal, 10% genetics on my Mom's side, and 10% lifestyle (young single mother, owned own home, worked full time + high pressure job) etc.,also I could never take birth control - thus my wonderful full grown baby! In those years Xanax and breathing in a brown bag did the job for me usually although I ended up in the hospital more than once sure that I was dying. At any rate I am not suggesting that you should get a hysterectomy by any means as I related the answer in my post. But there are "Endroconalagist" (I am sure that is not spelled right!) that no doctor ever thought of doing blood work on me, it was just a happy side effect of my hysterectomy that I no longer suffer intensely from attacks. Every so often I might get anxiouse; but not to the level I lived my entire life with. Don't give up, and remember everyone is different and reacts to medications and therapies differently; there is an answer for you. Hope this helps. Lisa
P.S. I notice a test you can take on here about hormones and Panic attacks to rate yourself.
|

replied July 29th, 2009
Have had panic attacks on/off for 30 plus years. They are scary but find someone who has had them to talk about it. Most of the time you think youa are the only one. When the professionals, MD and Phd. told me it is a treatable medical condition and usually they see a genetic marker. I felt so much better just knowing that. Yoga, exercise, caffeine reduction, relaxation tapes, etc all helped me to work through it. I started a journal even and read it when I feel good to remeber I I did feel bad. Breathing exercises really helps. If you can control your breathing you can control all the other symptoms. Practice everyday so when it gets the panicky time you can go right into the pattern you have already set.
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2009
Kmakenas; did they do blood work on you to find a genetic marker? With me, I just know, all my siblings and a few neices and my nephew, and my cousin on my Mothers side has degrees of panic and other disorders; dyslexia also runs on her side of the family; she is obsessive complulsive; both of her parents were alcaholics; & meen. Screwed up side of the familly. Oh and then my Dad is the most perfect and happy intelligent artist & successful guy in the world; so I get a bit bi-polar; being a mixture of a really great guy who is intelligent and creative; and then my mom. They do not mix well so I end up acting like one or the other. I focus on trying to act like my Dad; my mother is also mentally abusive; and I broke that cycle with my daughter we are as close as we can be! Should change my screen name to "ramble on" Smile I have also had problems breathing in an attack; have an inhaler. But like I said I am pretty much cured from them taking my hormones via hysterectomy and replacing them with a constant flow of a normal combination (HRT).
|

replied July 30th, 2009
Uhlizza, No there was no test to see a genetic marker on me. But research has shown that there are two genes that are marked for those that have a tendency for panic disorder. You can not cure it but you can control it. This is what the PHD that specializes in panic disorder told me.
Also, no one wants to feel panicky so you will see people will try and self medicate through alcohol. People with panic disorder also tend to be perfectionists and artistic.
I found a book that was helpful by Mark S. Gold, MD. called "The Good News about Panic, Anxiety and Phobias".
I am sure there is even more current research on panic disorder out now and again it is understanding it so you can deal with it.
|
Users who thank kmakenas for this post: uhlizza 

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2009
I have had panic attacks for the last year and a half. I can't work, alot of the times I can't even leave the house. I have no suggestions or solutions for you, but I wanted to thank you for sharing your story because it is sotrue, so many times I feel so alone and as if I am the only one. I joined this site a few days ago and it has been a God send. All of the people that post about panic disorder or any form of anxiety give me hope that I am not alone, and that I can get better too. So thank you.
|

replied August 4th, 2010
I suffered panic attacks for 12 years. I tried hypno, NPL, counselling and anti depressants all with a degree of success to manage the symptoms but nothing to fully cure. I have kept my panic attacks a secret from most people I know for such a long time, then last year my whole body felt like it was shutting down, it had had enough. That's when I read a book about Lessarian curative hypnotherapy, it looked to good to be true, but I booked an appointment and started regular sessions. I have now gone 9 months without a panic attack. And each time I do something that I would not have been able to do before I get a slight feeling of anxiety and then it disappears. The feeling of anxiety reduces each time I do this new thing, till eventually I feel no anxiety at all. I wont begin to tell you how curative hypnotherapy works but do a search on the net for Lessarian, it is so logical it makes real sense. I'm still apprehensive that it cant possibly have cured me because after all these years of suffering I thought this impossible, but as each panic free day passes I become more and more convinced that I'm cured. I hope this helps
|

replied August 11th, 2010
Experienced User
Cool. Smile Thanks! Smile Yours is much more helpful, definitely!
|

replied March 31st, 2014
hi iam also suffering from panic attacks and i have made some helthy life style changes that has help me to reduce my panic attacks and anxiety
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2014
Here recently I've had some pretty bad ones, one happened in the car, and another happened while i was at work. My whole face gets hot and goes numb, i swear it feels like my teeth are tingling, I feel like I'm not in my body, like if I'm walking it'll feel like I'm gliding...idk how to explain it other then detached. What I started doing recently, that's tricky and hard to do but gets easier everytime i do it, is if I feel one coming on, like a work for example, instead of running off and hiding in the bathroom until its done, I keep doing my work and telling myself nothing's wrong. The more I act like everythings normal, the more my body and mind starts to feel that way. Itll try to come back 3or 4 more times within about 10 mins, but each time its weaker. Im 23 years old and hate that I still get these, but I've been off my medicine the last 2 years and believe that I can take control of them. When you feel in control its so nice!
|

User Profile
replied July 13th, 2014
Story of my life, I'm 34 and have agoraphobic panic disorder. That means for the most part stuck in my house. Clonazepam helps. when I do leave its to see my doctor, and other things I need to leave the house for. I can go on and on with a list of medications I have tried to kick these Panic Attacks but the hard truth is no matter what people will tell you that are not in this boat with us is that there is not a cure. Pills give you a break but do not fix panic disorder. People that have had luck and said they beat Panic Disorder only had a couple real Panic Attacks and got over it with time. People like us that have them every day.. Like I just did typing this have no idea what a life of HELL really is. Sorry, I'm upset and mad that this is my life. Can't get in a car, no fishing, going to the beach, rides at the fair or something as easy as going for a walk down the street. To be clear this is most days, I have good ones. I wish that yoga and meditation really did help. If they did I would have posted it.
Also, a little test to see if this is a life long thing or not. Think back to when you were a kid. Ever had any moments where you freaked out? Seen something not there? Walls closed in on you? Panic for no reason? I'm only saying that because it took me 34 years with the right doctor to connect that this is not something that just happened over night.
|