Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Panic Attacks Are Ruining My Life.

Hi, I'm a 24 year old female that has been dealing with anxiety/depression most of my life. I had a handle on it up until about 9 months ago when I delivered my first child. The delivery was horrific and it almost killed me and I am still dealing with muscle/nerve damage from it, which causes a lot of pain. ANYWAYS, my point being, while I am no longer suffering from depression...my anxiety has sky-rocketed. Its like hypochondria times a million. My panic attacks are so bad and almost happen on a daily basis. The other day I was driving and out of nowhere, my whole face got tingly and numb and it spread down my neck to my arm, which was followed by rapid heart rate, tight chest, feeling like I'm going to die...blah blah blah. The tingliness and numbness in my head and arms and legs is new. It freaks me out. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Even though sometimes I KNOW its an anxiety attack, I still let my mind get the best of me. I always think I'm dying. The slightest bump or bruise or ache or pain sets off a full blown panic attack. I don't know how to fight this. Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 18th, 2012
hi sam, my name is ashley, i wanted to let you know im the exact same way. my attacks happen every day some of which i can control but others set me into a franic panic. anything that happens to me like you said aches, headaches,pain i automatically think i am dying i think the worst of everything. they control my life everything i do. its the worst feeling in the world. and i no that im gonna be fine im fine every time i think im dying but even knowing that your body still cant be like no ur good stop this! it turns my stomach to think i could have a life worry free but i cant overcome it..
|

replied January 17th, 2013
Thank you Ashley. It's so comforting to know that Im not the only one, because your mind tells you that you are the exception and that you're going to die. I finally got out on medicine. Lithium, Lamictal, and Clonopin. They've helped a lot. But the anxiety attacks are still there lingering, ready to surprise me at any moment.
|

replied January 19th, 2013
Hi I'm Paul, I'm 33 and experienced my first attack probably ten years ago, very isolated attacks until past year or so were they have been more frequent, almost daily past few months. I too get similar feelings, even of the actual symptoms vary the lingering thought is always that I'm gonna die...as if something is wrong in the background and its gonna catch up or something. As I type this I'm in the middle of a fairly intense attack, sweaty palms, achy body and neck, chills bit I feel hot toy own touch. I've tried telling myself that its been ball this time I think I'm dying, and after thislong if something was really really wrong I'm sure i would be dead or in the hospital by now...lol not very comforting but it sort of helps. Sometimes talking about it helps me calm down, just out loud to my wife, sometimes it doesn't. Wish there was something more concrete that could be done to help us.
|

replied March 14th, 2013
Sad. I experience the same. Had my first attack a week ago and three times since.it seems to be getting much worse. I'm scared to drive,its affecting my love (I'm constantly having them while at college) and I'm terrified to drive. Ativan works but onlywhen it's under my toung,which helps it move into the system faster...but even then it can take up to 40min. I'm sick of this.I'm sick of being scared, and all the attacks...im afraid to take a shower for Christ sake! Nothing in particular sets it off, it's always out of no where. I'm amazed we have no cure, no fix....no permanent solution....it's disheartening.
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2013
GKMASS im a 52 years old female suffering from panic attacks for 10 yrs but since november 2012 they got really bad i have 2 different types of attacks 1 is a painfull one where it affects really bad pains in my chest,stomach,back,vometing it comes out of no where i dont know when,or where it comes from and why.the other attacts i have also come witout warning.id be walking along then all of a sudden i cant walk any more or move,or talk move any part of my body i have had these in front of family.friends,stores,parkig lots and so far the worst one was about a week ago i was walking accross the street and in the middle of it boom here it comes again then after standing my knees started to get weak so i fell on the ground. i got lucky when good somaritans helped me over to my car which of course i couldnt drive. thakfully i had some clonopin on me but no water,so i tried and put it under my tongue after about 1hr i was able to drive home. so a day ago i didnt have an attacts. So i said to myself wow this is great im gonna go out do some errands so i went to my car and there was snow on it so i started to clean it off then all of a sudden another episode again my whole body frozed hardly able to breathe yelled out for help i was lucky another good samaritan helped me.this really sucks ive lost my indepents. thank god there was snow on the car or i would have started to drive there would of been a really bad tragedy. so for now i have to be with someone at all times,keep my meds on me and water. im afraid to go any where worrying if its gonna happen in front of people very imbabassing. i mean i even get woken up out of a sleep.taking a shower is even a scary task i hate it i need help with everything and i dont for how long how can you tell? this is controlling and ruined my life. im sick of my self and i feel alone and empty inside.i hate it when people say to me i know what your going threw then i ask questions about things and they dont understand thats bulll then you hear oh youll be allright oh ok sure but when? i also feel very hopeless. I hope some one of you will reply to me.maybe ill feel a little better cause im no in a good way right now. Im sick of being in mental hospital.
|

replied March 16th, 2013
I had severe panic attacks for years. They would occur in two hour waves. I had other people track them for me because I could not keep track of anything while they were happening. The frequency of occurances would change. Sometimes they would come on multiple times a week, other times they could be spread out for a month.

There were times in my life that I feared going out in public because these were so dibilitating. I had attacks in airports, stores, restaurants, parks, etc.

The symptoms were very strong. I would end up on the ground and could not think straight. I would sense movement but could not respond to it and would feel that I was in danger. There was a tunnel like effect in my vision and brain where I could not seem to grasp where I was.

I had three different relationships and my partners were very concerned but also felt like caregivers at times.

I went to multiple doctors. None could find the problem. One perscribed anti-depressants that I took for a short time. I was not depressed though. My life is decent.

Weird as this may sound, after 5-6 years of all these problems, they went away. I have not had an episode in over 3 years. I was having them frequently and read something on the internet about aspartame as a potential culprit. I dropped the 3 diet sodas a day along with all other fake sugar products. The episodes stopped immediately and have not returned!
|

replied May 16th, 2013
Hi there,

I recently overcame my panic attacks and strong depersonalization moments and I would really like to share my experience and treatment on each forum I find, as other posts helped me when I needed it more, who knows, maybe it helps Smile

All my panic attacks were trigered suddently, started with numbness in arms, a feeling of general dizziness and strong insomnia. I ended up in hospital being treated with Xanax so I could finally get some sleep. Helped for a very short time and as my symptoms were back again I had to search help at other doctors. My general practicioner prescribed me Xanax for a month but that I can say was the worst month since my panic attacks: always dizzy, sleepy and weak memory.

THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY HELPED ME was seeing a psychiatrist, who prescribed me CIPRALEX (escitalopram) 10 mg and LEXOTAN. First TWO WEEKS were like HELL, but my psychiatrist warned me of this short strong period, so I had the strenght to defeat panic attacks, accentuated with deep depersonalization moments. I felt like if I am a ghost and the rest of the people are not real and all the things that make one wonder if he's going crazy. But after that period, as suddently as my panic attacks appeared, the same way started to go. Therewas no more numbness, no more dizzyness and no more fear to go to sleep or walk outside. I slowly let go of Lexotan and remained only on Cipralex. This happened after a month of treatment. In just five months I reduced the doze of Cipralex to a half for 10 days and a half at two days for other 10 days and I was done with medication.

I feel great, I can easyly think back at all those nightmare moments I thought I will die or go "nutz" and smile. I found it very important to think thatyes life doesn't have a goal of it's own but it's our duty to find what makes us happy. AND SOMETHING ELSE THAT REALLY HELPED WAS GOING OUT WHEN I WAS MOST AFFRAID TO DO SO AND SEARCHING TO GO TO WORK EVEN IF I HAD ALLOT OF MOMENTS WHEN EVERYTHING SEEMED STRANGE AROUND ME
|

replied May 17th, 2013
You know weird how you feel so many of these post to be yourself. I've been fortunate enough to have an awesome wife and kids. But unfortunate to feel the way I do and affect everything from family to friends. I will be completely honest! I've even written farewell letters to my wife like I'm minutes from passing. I'm still here but this trial has lasted way toooo long. All these symptoms and doctors and tests. You start to wonder AM I REALLY LOSING IT!!! Social life and activities no longer exist, the aches and pains. The complaining and no one has found anything, still feeling everyday all the same symptoms I've read a lot of of posts and believe me I've felt everyone and prayed for everyone. Am I hypochondriac? Maybe! Or is something that hasn't been found? Maybe! Agoraphobia? Next and last step psychologist.
Thanks for listening

God bless
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...