About 2 weeks ago my Mother-in-Law had some chest pain and it took her breathe away.. She called 911 and they said it could be just an anxiety attack and all her vitals were fine. She does take Lorazepam but it doesn't seem to work great. She took it everyday for the couple days after and then she got another one about a week later, and she has been getting them everyday since. She takes the pills but they do make her tired and she can't take them at work. I just don't think it is anxiety or panic attacks cause it has been happening every day without any worries or anything to "panic" about. I researched gallstones cause she seems to get the pain below her bust line but she claims the pain is not what I described. She had kidney stones so she didn't think it is felt the same and the pain doesn't go around her back. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be? --worried daughter...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 2nd, 2009
Community Volunteer
Lorazepam is indeed a strong drug...It can get you tired... I can see why she wouldn't want to take them at work...I have taken them before myself..

Even though I cannot diagnosis your Mother's attack, I can tell you that three times I went to the hospital with panic attacks...It is the stress of the situation...Sometimes you can think of this problem and the more you think the bigger it gets...You can create your own attacks...I had the deal down where they put the instrument down your throat to see if your reflux action was OK...I think with me and possibly with her that worry can be her worse enemy...I swear that you sit and wait for it to happen and then when it happens you help it grow....Panic is the perfect name for this....

Mine was caused by terrible stress.....Once I could relieve this it took away the attacks...Maybe give her time and help her...Is she nearing Menopause as this can cause it too....

If I can help in any way I will.....

Caroline
|

replied January 2nd, 2009
Thanks.
she has already gone through menopause. I think one problem is that one of her friends just died and I think she is "egging" the panic attack one. She feels a little pain maybe gas or something and she starts freaking out.
|

User Profile
replied May 27th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Her symptoms are consistent with anxiety disorder. She would need anxiolytic like propanolol for symptomatic relief.
For long term prevention, she has to attend psychotherapy sessions like CBT. Antidepressant like escitalopram are also helpful in long term prevention.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Panic Attacks , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.