Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

panic attack and perimenopause

I am 39 years old and was recently sick. Had flu like symptoms and didn't really eat or drink for a week or two. Then it seems that I became dehyrated. I also in that time frame started feeling like I had something seriously wrong with me, like cancer or that I was having a heart attack. My chest hurt and my left arm was going numb and I was having issues breathing. I ended up in the hospital 3 different times with my heart pounding and my blood pressure higher than it's ever been for me. They did a ECG 2 out of the 3 times and said I'm fine. I ended up having panic attacks twice a day for 6 days straight. They finally ended but now I seem to be still having anxiety issues. I finally drove a vehicle the other day as I haven't even done that for a month. My naturpath says that I am going through perimenopause which makes sense as my cycle was 9 days late last month and has been different for the last number of years. Plus I have been experiencing hot flashes occasionally for years. What I'm wondering is why I am still so weak. I also find that I have to eat every few hours or I start to get shaky and I still get the occasional chest pain under my left breast. I forgot to mention that I also lost 15 or so pounds in a 3 week period. I know that anxiety can come with the onset of menopause but the shaky feeling that I'm still getting as well as being tired, could this be all part of it? I'm very confused.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 13th, 2008
Experienced User
I am so sorry you are going throught this. I have felt the same way for 3 years depression/anxiety/weak. They have done several hormone level tests (thinking that I am perimonopausal, as I am 47) that do not show that I am menopausal. The anxiety is 24/7. I have never had an anxiety attack, just 24 hour anxiety. They have prescribed Buspar and Xanax for my anxiety, but neither are really working. They take the edge off, but are not helping my lifestyle. I on the other hand have gained 15 lbs. I had to quit my job and do not drive due to being so weak and slow reflexes. My husband and daughter drive me to my doctor's appointments. They now have discovered I have an enlarged thyroid gland and I am due for an ultrasound on the 24th to see if it is malignant or benign. I have never been sick or even hospitalized, except when I had my children. They are also testing me for hypoglycemia. I have low blood pressure/high pulse rate. Anyway...........I hope you feel better soon.
|

replied February 19th, 2011
Panic Attacks the real cause.

Honestly, to me it sounds just like my story!
I ended up going misdiagnosed for nearly 2 decades before finding out that I had an autoimmune disease that caused me to have anxiety and panic attacks.
|
Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....