Hello, everyone.

I'm hoping to make this post fairly short and sweet.

For about 3 months I had a routine of waking up late, going to class/work, coming home late, eating one big unhealthy meal and then drinking a lot before going to bed and then doing it all over again the next day.

This pattern sort of amplified after a doctor visit because I have type 2 diabetes and my doctor was ecstatic because my numbers were all within a normal non diabetic range and I got a little too happy and confident.

Anyway, about three weeks ago, I started having what felt like stomach ulcer pains and after it became too unbearable, I went to the hospital. They wrongly diagnosed it as a stomach ulcer until the pain got worse and I had to go back to the ER a second time in the same day.

They then found out it was an acute pancreatitis attack more than likely caused by alcohol consumption. The entire time I was in the hospital (4 days), only one doctor suggested I abstain from alcohol and she never went into any sort of detail as to why or what would happen if I did drink. Unfortunately, I was doing this on my own for the first time and I was afraid and didn't ask any questions.

I understand it is VERY important to moderate and let my body heal after something like this.

I'm just curious to know from those who are familiar with it, is there ANY chance I'll ever be able to have alcohol again.

I've never liked liquor, Im not a fan of wine, but is there ANY chance I could have an occasional beer once or twice a week? Can I ever have celebratory drinks with friends?

Have I completely ruined that privilege in my life?

Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2017
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

Even with complete abstinence from alcohol people can have a recurrent attack of acute pancreatitis in more than 15 percent cases. alcohol and gallstones are the main risk factors for acute pancreatitis. Acute pancreatitis is a life-threatening condition and alcohol consumption can Trigger such an event so I would advise you to abstain from alcohol completely.

wishing you best of health

thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Diabetes, Ulcer
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.