Medical Questions > Cancer > Pancreatic Cancer Forum

pancreatic cancer patient need an advice

Dear Dr,

I need your kind advice regarding this case, he is my father,
Case history:-
72 years old patient
a sizable intra-abdominal mass occupying the right hypochodrium. Ultrasonography and Ct scans gave the impression that the mass may be extrapancreatic or related to the uncinate process. The mass was also indenting the IVC but was not infiltrating it. He had no jaundice and was of reasonable body status. Guided FNAC was done and suggested undifferentiated adenocarcinoma as the pathology. Bearing in mind that there was a solitary liver lesion at segment VI, Limited exploration was performed with the hope that this lesion me be GIST tumour and the possibility of having the primary resected may help the patient.
Unfortunately the tumour was found to be purely pancreatic invoving part of the head and encroaching on duodenal lumen and inseparable from IVC. In view of the previous findings only anterior gastrojujenostomy was performed to the patient to avoid future duodenal obstruction.
His recovery was smooth apart from attacks of bilious vomiting probably related to the gastrojujenostomy. He has severe anorexia probaly related to his malignancy.
He is now suffering from severe anorexia + cachixia+Regular vomiting (Fluid therapy is applied regularly)
The surgeon is advising to perform another surgery to make a tube outside the body to give him food through it.

kINDLY GIVE THE ADVICE REGARDING THIS OPERATION
NB.Doctores did not decide to give him any kind of chemotherapy

Thanks And Best Regards,
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2011
Unfortunately, based upon the information that you have provided, it sounds like your father has metastatic pancreatic cancer. As you probably already know, this would not be a curable condition.

If you father remains healthy, other than his anorexia and weight loss, and he wishes to try and prolong his life, then one could consider placing a feeding tube. However, this procedure is not without risk, and if your father's cancer is rapidly progressing, then placing a feeding tube may not significantly prolong his life.

Unfortunately, since I am not involved in his care, I really cannot advise you as to whether or not placing a feeding tube would be the right choice for your father.

It is best that you discuss this issue with his Oncologists.

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

www.doctorwascher.com

Author, "A Cancer Prevention Guide for the Human Race"

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|

replied January 18th, 2011
I know exactly what you are going through, and I will keep you Yamen in my thoughts and prayers.
In 2006, my father was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer..
|
Must Read
Learn pancreas basics here: we review anatomy, how cancer spreads and different types of pancreatic cancer in this short intro....
Do doctors know what causes pancreatic cancer? Here we review causes and risk factors that may increase the likelihood of developing cancer of the pancreas....
Cancer of the pancreas do not usually manifest symptoms in its early stages. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help for pancreatic cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pancreatic Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.