User Profile
I have had blood tests, an ultrasound, an x ray and a barium swallow, all which are normal. My doctor tested me for TSH and t3 t4 which were also normal. She is sending me to an endocrinologist.

I noticed pain and swelling in my neck approx. 8 weeks ago. I have pain and dull aches, trouble swallowing and now my ears are starting to hurt. I also notice pain in the back of my neck and shoulders now. My doctor and an ER doctor could definitely feel swelling. They said I have a palpable goitre, but with all my blood work and ultrasound normal, they aren't saying much. Sorry I forgot to add that my throat hurts, burns and I have a cough. I am a 32 year old female. Any thoughts on what it could be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Rather than an endocrinologist, I would suggest you consider seeing an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor. If all your tests are normal and the ultrasound was normal (no nodule on your thyroid?), I'm not sure what an endocrinologist could do for you. Your symptoms are concentrated pretty much in your ears and throat. Ask about going to an ENT.
|

User Profile
replied May 30th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with Thyroiditis.
Consult endocrinologist to evaluate you.
Thyroid scan is indicated in your case to sort it out. You can start NSAID or steriod.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.