Please help me figure this out. I'm a 19 year old female

This has been going on for a few years I expect. I never really had a problem with it til recently. My hands turn red at random intervals (I haven't been able to figure out a solid pattern no matter how much I try). They get a mottled, hot red color. This happens mainly on my entire palm area and around my knuckles. It just gets unbearably hot, almost like a strong blushing you'd get in your face on normal circumstances, although it behaves more like a rash with a mind of it's own. There is no pain, itching, spots or anything but redness. There MIGHT be slight swelling involved, but not usually. I don't have any indents upon pressure or stuff like that.

Sometimes the redness won't be consistent and it will end up on one hand, and not the other, or it will happen on one portion of my skin and the other part be extremely cold (not cold like Raynauds or anything).

It used to only be limited to my hands, but now it's doing it to my feet sometimes too. And my other joints. (elbows knees) Which brings me to believe this is some sort of arthritis or something.

Most of the time I'm ice cold, but then something happens that makes my extremities go out of whack and they'll start to do the red, hot thing. It's painless, except for the occasional throbbing. I can understand this maybe my nerves or something, because lately I've been feeling short tiny bursts of pain in random areas around where this happens. The pain is really minor.

The questionable pattern I've only recently noticed was that mostly this will happen after I've been feeling cold in my arms and feet and stuff. Then the heat will suddenly flood back into me like it forgot to before and is trying to make up for it by giving me a lot in the places most susceptible to frost bite, but overheating them uncomfortably (not painfully). Then it will spread to certain areas and leave others cold and then disappear again for a period of time, before coming back.

It happens multiple times a day and it's not preventing me from life, it's just horribly annoying, and with this nerve pain I'm experiencing lately I don't really want this to turn into anything serious. It's like my body doesn't know the effective way to regulate heat anymore. It has undoubtedly gotten worse over the years. The heat sometimes is triggered by contact with things. That could mean allergies, but I'm not buying it. My allergy medicine works, but it doesn't prevent this. :been allergy tested:

Another thing is the cold. It's annoying. My normal temperature is 95.7° F and I'm freezing most of the time I'm not experiencing the intense heat in my hands. (and yes our heating bill is paid =P) I don't like cold, but I'm not comfortable in warm environments because of the hand thing. But I can live with the cold, because that can be easily remedied with lots of socks and blankets. I just want my hands to stop blushing... It's annoying!

My doctor says he can't do anything unless he sees what it does because he doesn't know what to think about it. It's driving me insane!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2008
Supporter
I'd suggest that you videotape the symptoms when they occur so that your doctor can better diagnose you. If you can't create the symptoms in real time, at least you can bring him a record of the symptoms.

Also, keep an ACCURATE diary of when these symptoms occur and what is happening right BEFORE the onset. This way, you can identify and report possible triggers.
|

replied November 17th, 2008
Yes that's a good idea... But I think I might have had a bit of a revelation. A solid pattern I noticed was when it was early in the morning *my usual bedtime* But I realized then that I was always really thirsty. DEHYDRATED if you will.... And my hands just did the red thing... and well... I drank some water and... instant relief anybody? lol.

I was looking up some symptoms of dehydration and wow... A lot of things are suddenly explained. o_o;; I get extremely dry feet (dead skin and grossness) and stuff, I pee like once or twice a day... and I'm always tired. My lips are chapped a lot of the time. I'm always shivering. And sometimes I get dizzy spells. I don't like to eat much. And you know my redness....crap.

Could I just be dehydrated? Would that do this to my hands and stuff? I'm so confused. I'll start drinking more liquids and see if it helps.
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2008
Supporter
Right. Great idea. Aim for 1 1/2 liters of spring water a day...and less sugar and salt. Let us know how it goes!
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....