Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Painful sex after many years

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Hi..I'm in my early 40's. For the last several years sex has been pretty painful even with KY. I have always enjoyed it and looked forward to it but since it has started to hurt, I want to do it but am scared because of the pain. I usually end up masturbating. I had a hyterectomy about four years ago but the problem was there before that. I take biodenticals off and on. In the off time I take OTC Remfemin. I usually have a few drops of blood on my underwear after sex. Could I have vaginal tears? I had a baby that weighed over 10 lbs(17 yrs ago). There just doesn't feel like there is as much room in there as there used to be. Pelvic exams with the speculums just about kill me. I've explained it to my gyn but she isn't listening. The reason I'm writing...I was married for 20 years to a very understanding and loving husband. We figured out ways to make it work but usually it wasn'y full blown intercourse because of the pain. He was killed in an accident. So I'm now on the verge of a possibility of a new relationship. I need to figure out what's wrong and get it fixed. Please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lissssslog

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2010
Welcome to ehealthforum.
The dryness and atrophy of vagina could be the cause for the discomfort with intercourse and for the bleeding after intercourse. These symptoms also suggest possibility of infections and cervical erosion or cancer. Consider meeting your gynecologist or another gynecologist to discuss your symptoms and for a check to decide on getting started on HRT (hormonal replacement therapy) to help with your symptoms and to lead a normal sexual life.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.