Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

Painful Ovulation and irregular periods

I'm 29 and I've been having some irregularities. For the past year or so, I've had ovulation pains that would last for about 10 minutes. It's a pretty uncomfortable sharp cramping pain but it goes away and then I feel better. It's not always every month with the pain but enough to expect it.

My periods always come between 28 and 32 days. January period was regular, February period was 2 weeks late (not pregnant Smile hubby has a vasectomy)and the one for this month is now late, but only a couple of days. However a few days ago I had the worst ovulation pain of my life. It was completely horrible and lasted for an hour, intense cramping and sharp, I thought at one point that I was going to throw up. I seriously thought about going to the emergency room and now that I think about it I probably should have, but all the other times it would just go away, I guess I just never thought it would last so long or be so intense.

Nothing has changed in my life, I'm still as active as I have been and no changes in my diet or anything. I have been feeling tired though for no reason and my breasts seem to be sore. I should go see what my dr. has to say about it but meanwhile, does anyone have an opinion about this? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jentau
|

replied March 30th, 2009
ok so now that I've got my period it's super light compared to what I'm used to. Usually the first 2-3 days are horrible with heavy bleeding and clots and all the gross stuff but this one is barely anything a couple of clots and that's it the rest is just normal light period stuff. It's going to be a while before I can see my doctor so any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.
|

replied April 7th, 2009
i guess no one has any ideas! That's fine. I went to my dr. yesterday and now i'm going to get some bloodwork done. For anyone else who is having similar things happen to them they are going to check for anemia and for thyroid problems and vitamin d levels and things. When I get some results I'll be sure to post what I've found out...even if I'm just talking to myself! LOL
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
Hi,
I have suffered with "mittleshmertz" for many years. It was not until I started taking vitamin D3 sublingually (under the tongue) that I have finally received relief without pain relievers. Not only has my ovulatory pain subsided, but breast tenderness and as of late bleeding between periods has also been remedied.
|

replied April 23rd, 2012
Hi,
I have suffered with "mittleshmertz" for many years. It was not until I started taking vitamin D3 sublingually (under the tongue) that I have finally received relief without pain relievers. Not only has my ovulatory pain subsided, but breast tenderness and as of late bleeding between periods has also been remedied.
|

replied April 17th, 2009
Like hearing a broken record!
I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms that you have described, although my ovulation has been painful for longer and for longer time periods. I had an irregular pap 6 months ago and had to wait until last week to be retested. I have had PCOS in the past and have lost one of my felopian tubes due to an ectopic pregnancy. I am keeping my fingers crossed, as my periods have never been so short which can be either a blessing or scary. I wish you good luck. It is highly likely that you just have PCOS (policystic ovaries) which can be very painful, but easy to treat.
|

replied April 18th, 2009
What I've found out from my bloodwork is that I am anemic and I have very very low levels of vitamin D. Although that doesn't address my painful ovulations the dr. told me that those other things will make my periods weird and could make me feel just messed up in general. So now i'm taking iron and vitamin D and go for more lab work in 3 months. I just had a physical and pap smear so I'm waiting for the results on that, so we'll see what that tells us.
|

replied April 21st, 2009
Extremely painful, light, and irregular periods
I am so glad I found this, I just experienced the extremely painful- should have gone to the emergency room cramps earlier today. I have always had pretty painful cramps, but today was so much worse than I could have imagined pain could be. I felt just like you, in that I knew the pain always comes to an end, so I waited to the point of nausea and trying very very hard not to black out. The pain lasted for 2 terrible hours, and after a muscle relaxer and a half it went away. But my husband had to come home from work early to give it to me because I couldn't walk or even crawl without feeling like I would pass out.

Also, my February was 2 weeks late, my husband and I were freaking out since we've only been married a few months, but after a negative preg test, it finally came. I was a little late this month too. I am 23 and have always been regular until this January. Plus my periods are much lighter than they used to be. Please let me know how your tests come out. We decided that I am going to go to the doctor as well. But I would really appreciate hearing what comes of your situation, because I am pretty sure we are in the same boat. I'm sorry you're going through it too!
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2009
irregular periods & painful ovulation
im 14 years old, its been exactly one week since i've been off my period, so now im ovulating. every month its the same thing. pain radiating throughout my waistline. i have an appointment may 11 (one week from today) for a papsmear. im scared b/c i do NOT like doctors or needles. please tell me how your results go. :[
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2009
how can i get pregnant
i`m 27 yrs old,i have irregular period.i have been trying to get pregnant .i dont know exactly when i`m ovulate and i just find out i have fibroids .what is my chances to have a baby.........
|

replied October 11th, 2009
Hi, Jentau. I think I just have the similar symptom as you do. I have a more irregular periods that I only have got 2 periods in the past year. I just heard from my doctor that I also have a very low vitamin D.

I will take vitamin D 100 unit for 1 month and have more sun exposure for another month and then have another blood test again.

How are you now after around 6 months' cure?
|

replied November 16th, 2010
Jentau:
So glad you posted. I too feel like i am in the same boat. I would like to know more. Last March 09, I had worst pain during ovulation-yes, where I thought I would die/pass out. In September...I finally went to my OBGYN--he thought premature menopause (I'm 34 now)..but thought i should see endocronologist..so i did. She was in process of test to figure what was wrong...but then I got my period in Oct. and couldn't afford any more bills...so I never figured out what was wrong. I got a second period in November 09. Then I didn't have again until April 2010. And now...none since. I'm wondering what to do--would like to hear more from you. I would like to have more children.
-Sarah15
|

replied January 28th, 2011
Anyone with any updates??

I've been having pain in my ovaries, not horrible pain, just uncomfortable I can feel it pain. I don't think it's from ovulation since it happens in both of them in a cycle. Another thing is my periods have become lighter. My Dr. wants to put me on birth control to see if the pain goes away. I do have hypothyroidism that was diagnosed 3 months before this started happening.
|

replied January 30th, 2011
I get this too almost every month.. Is the pain so severe and sharp that it makes moving difficult while the pain persists? For me it lasts in fairly small bouts, 10 seconds or so.. but happens fairly often.
|

replied February 10th, 2011
I've just stumbled on this by chance whilst searching for articles on strong period pains and lighter flows each month etc and reading what some of you have posted i think i have a similar thing. I've not been to my doctors yet but I feel i have cause for concern. I'm 33 and married 7 months. My husband and i want a baby and we've not been using any contraception since we first got together but it's not happened for us yet. I thought it might be because he had taken steriods in the past but in the past 12 months my periods got quite irregular and the pain both pre and during have been immense at times and back pain from it consistant. I'm a little more regular now and usually vary from 28-30 days.
I think I should see my GP incase its PCO or something.
|

replied February 21st, 2011
ovulation and pain in ovaries
I'm having the same problem, almost every month I have very bad pain in my ovaries when I'm ovulating, sometimes it's even hard to walk. So i went to my doctor and he said it's normal for some women to have discomfort when they are ovulating or having a period, or well we still trying to have a baby but no luck yet, maybe next time I see my doc. I'll ask to do more test or something. Thank you girls for all these posts, it really helps.
|

replied July 1st, 2012
hello im just looking for some answers im 20 years old, havnt been to the doctors yet but have a app. Iv had my period now for about 2 and a half weeks, at first it was just spotting for about 4 days. The color worried me, like a brown but thats not the only thing, it was stringy. just yesterday my period became full blown. the brightest red you have ever seen along with the painfull cramps. i guess you could call them blood clots but its still stringy. i feel like im loosing more blood then i should...
|
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...