Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
im not shore haw to ask this. i have lumps around my bum hole and there painfull

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 24th, 2010
Hemorrhoids Answer A10258
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know the cause of painful lumps around the anus.

Painful lumps around the anus may appear due to hemorrhoids, abscess (perianal or anal) fistulas, etc. Hemorrhoids appear due to excessive pushing when defecating combined with constipation. They can bleed easily. Abscess may appear due to infection of a scratch or fissure on the anus. It is painful until the pus is cleaned or discharged. Fistula is a condition when there is communication between the anus and the skin. It is a canal that usually gets infected. When there is active infection of the anus it may either develop into an abscess or a fistula. Once the fistula is formed pus and feces can be released through it. The presence of feces is a factor that causes repeated infections of the fistula.

Given the data that you described, you may or may not experience any of the conditions listed above. See an abdominal surgeon to rule out or confirm any of those conditions. You may need to have a surgery if diagnosed with an abscess or a fistula. You may need to make certain changes in your everyday life, by paying more attention to hygiene and to avoid constipation, if diagnosed with hemorrhoids.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an abdominal surgeon for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hemorrhoids , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.