Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Painful infant reflux

User Profile
I have a two month old baby girl named Ellie. I feel hopless because she has a severe case of reflux and it puts me tears almost daily. She has exteremly painful cry after every feeding and her doctors will not tell me if this is normal. Ive never heard such a cry from a baby before. My family is convinced there is seriously something wrong with her. Her doctors are no help to us and i am praying for help. Is this normal? Thank you for your time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 30th, 2010
Are you using soy products? This might help.

Soy

In recent years soy has emerged as a ‘near perfect’ food, with supporters claiming it can provide an ideal source of protein, lower cholesterol, protect against cancer and heart disease, reduce menopause symptoms, and prevent osteoporosis, among other things.

However, numerous studies have found that soy products may:

* Increase the risk of breast cancer in women, brain damage in both men and women, and abnormalities in infants
* Contribute to thyroid disorders, especially in women
* Promote kidney stones
* Weaken the immune system
* Cause severe, potentially fatal food allergies.

Perhaps the most disturbing of soy’s ill effects on health has to do with its phytoestrogens that can mimic the effects of the female hormone estrogen. These phytoestrogens have been found to have adverse effects on various human tissues, and drinking even two glasses of soy milk daily for one month has enough of the chemical to alter a woman’s menstrual cycle.

Soy is particularly problematic for infants, and soy infant formulas should be avoided. It has been estimated that infants who are fed soy formula exclusively receive five birth control pills worth of estrogen every day.
|

replied October 30th, 2010
Google reflux and chia seed. It soaks up acid very well and can be ground up to add to a formula. Also there is for infants a product called Gripe Water. Don't know if the spelling is right. Only available in Canada Or online. My wife used it when she was had a daycare.
|

User Profile
replied March 27th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!
I read your question and I understand your concern.
Gastroesophageal refulx is normal in infants but if
its excessive then it could be either due to formula milk or gastric outlet obstruction.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infants , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.