Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Pain years after oral cancer

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
User Profile
my husband is 44 and in oct 05 was told he had oral cancer received radiation and chemo for three months, the cancer is gone now but during from the chemo he got a blood infection for his port that shut down his kidneys was on dialayis for 6 weeks they came back. He been ok for a couple of year but now six months ago he was complaining about serve pain in his thighs and now his knees and calves. we seen all kinds of doctors from neurogloist to vescular. No one can figure out what the pain is from. he was also told he has lyme he was on the oral antibiotics for 2 weeks and that did not work was onthe iv antibiotics for 2 weeks that did not work and now the pain is getting worst and no one can tell us what it is we need help it is gettng to the point he cannot work or walk to much. He has lost so much weight he has vision problems slurred speach, trouble swallowing, and now his voice is starting to sound funny.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2010
Neurological Disorders Answer A9640
Thank you for your question on

Your husband's medical history is very significant with previous oral cancer. It must be kept in mind when diagnosing any problem of recent onset. A complete physical examination by the clinician is very important in this scenario to rule out any secondaries/metastases, as they can involve any tissue or organ to affect the function of that organ. Metastases pressing on nerves in limbs can cause pain.

However, it would be only guesswork without having the advantage of examination; so, I would suggest you to have him again physically and clinically examined thoroughly by his physician before any investigation are requested. Thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.