Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

pain under my diaphragm and in my back especially after i eat.

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
I woke 2 days ago with a intense pain under my ribs/diaphragm that doubled me over, i went to the doctor who said it was trapped acid and prescribed me omeprazole 20mg 1 a day, she said symptoms would last 48 hours would improve. well now I still have the pain (bit milder) and a constant pain in the middle of my back like i've been winded and i need to take big deep breaths all the time, and worse thing is i cant eat , i'm hungry but when i eat i get the pain under my ribs and back really bad for about 20 mins. its the weekend so unless i go to out of hours i will have to wait till mon to see the gp again. does anyone know what this is or how i can eat with out pain?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 23rd, 2013
Hello! Welcome on eHealth forum and hope you find a satisfactory answer to your query!

If it is pain under left diaphragm and back then yes, it can be severe acidity with acid reflux. You can take antacid gel along with omeprazole. Eat small light and frequent meals. Drinking cold milk may help. If these tips do not help, then please go to ER if you cannot consult your GP.

However, if the pain is under right diaphragm then apart from a duodenal ulcer this can be due to gall stones or liver infection. For duodenal ulcer, you can take the same treatment as above, for gall stones just pray the pain doesn’t come up until you have seen a doc and liver infection needs to be diagnosed and treated at the earliest. If it is a right side pain, please consult a doctor immediately. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.