Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

pain/pressure under right bottom rib

Hi. I am 33, female. I have had pretty much a constant pain under my bottom right rib for about a year now. On a daily basis, it mainly feels like pressure with dull aching that sometimes radiates under my right shoulder blade. Eating sometimes makes it worse, yet there doesn't seem to be a specific "trigger" food. Laying on my left side tends to make the pain turn to more of a stabbing feeling. I can specifically point to exactly where it is. It's tender to the touch; sometimes worse than others. Occasionally, I feel like I'm fighting infection (feverish, achy) for no reason. I don't drink or smoke, am pretty active, and I am pretty good about what I eat (healthy weight) I had an ultrasound of my gallbladder last year that came up negative; I will get the results from another ultrasound on Tuesday but I have a feeling that I will get the same results. I've looked up as much as I know how and I can't seem to find anything that fits the symptoms. I've tried everything for any gastrointestinal issues and nothing has helped at all. Anyone have any clue?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

The common presentation due to gall bladder dysfunction include - Pain or tenderness under the rib cage on the right side , Pain between shoulder blades, Stools light or chalky colored, Indigestion after eating, especially fatty or greasy foods, Nausea, Dizziness, Bloating, Gas, Burping or belching, Feeling of fullness or food not digesting, Diarrhea (or alternating from soft to watery) and or Constipation.

In many patients, coexistent GERD is also a contributing factor for the symptoms. Hence it is important to work with a gastroenterologist and rule out Gastric Reflux disorder, and treat it properly. Other possible conditions that need to be ruled out include liver diseases, lower lung pneumonia, musculoskeletal disorders, inflammatory bowel disorders, right sided renal stones, etc.

Many patients with actual gall bladder inflammation or reduced gall bladder function, the ultrasound results can still be normal. In such patients with symptoms strongly suspect of possible gall bladder symptoms additional tests including blood tests, HIDA scan etc can be done.

In case the HIDA scan, done shows the Gall bladder function to be less than 35%, then it will be conclusive about your symptoms being due to Gall bladder dysfunction.

Improved diet (Avoidance of high fatty foods and grease), Physical exercise, weight loss provide the best results in individuals with low functioning gall bladder. Medicines to improve digestion and cleanse the gall bladder can also be prescribed to help in improvement of symptoms.

You might be benefited by consulting your primary care physician who can examine you and provide proper medical assistance.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.