Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

pain on right side when I'm sitting or bending over?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
Pinching/sharp pain on right side of abdomen 3 inches away from belly button. The only time I feel the pain is when I'm sitting or bending over & if I inhale a yawn. I just had a baby 5 months ago & I carried her on my right side. I'm not sure if I could have torn something during pregnancy/labor & not realized it or maybe torn a muscle lifting the baby carseat. I did a trans-vaginal ultrasound as well as a pap smear & nothing abnormal came up on either. The nurse told me that a trans-vaginal is much better than a regular abdominal ultrasound & that it can see all the way up near the belly button area. I didn't know if muscle strain/tearing was "normal" or if it might be something more. I have no pain whatsoever if I'm standing & deeply inhaling or if I'm sitting and breathing normally. It's only when I'm sitting and my muscles are condensed and I yawn that I feel the pinch. I can lay on my stomach & sleep with no problem & I can press on it & have no pain & feel no bump.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 8th, 2011
Abdominal Pain Answer A23889
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of your history indicate them to be due to musculoskeletal issues, and not due to anything abnormal with your inner organs.

Since the ultrasound, has been normal this is a confirmation, that the pain is of benign nature.

You might consult with your doctor for a physical examination of your belly, which can determine the exact muscle involvement. In case there is a extensive defect or hernias within the abdominal wall, need for surgical correction of the problem might be evaluated.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.