Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

pain is above my hip, but below my rib cage...

User Profile
Hi! I have been having pain on my sides, mostly my right side, on and off for a few weeks now. The pain is above my hip, but below my rib cage. It is a little tender to the touch, but the pain is dull when not pressed. Like I said, the pain comes and goes. Any help would be appreciated!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2012
Kidney Conditions Answer A32667
Hello and welcome to e health forum. ‎

Most likely, your pain as described in the history, could be due to renal stones. ‎

Pain that originates due to renal issues (Stones, infection) is usually episodic , spasmodic or colicky in ‎nature, ‎‎‎‎‎‎originating ‎in the flank and radiating to the lower belly, inner thigh. It is ‎associated with other ‎‎‎‎symptoms like ‎‎nausea, vomiting ‎and systemic features due to any infection. ‎
The exact cause of your symptoms need to be ruled out with a ultrasound or a CT scan of the abdomen. The ‎‎results of a Urinalysis, might also give a clue to the probable cause. ‎

Treatment usually includes pain medication and increased fluids (to drink) until the stone is passed. Over the ‎counter pain medication (eg, ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin) may be helpful. If the pain is not controlled, a stronger ‎medication (narcotic) may be needed

Small stones (less than 5 mm) usually pass without treatment. Larger stones (greater than 9 ‎mm) rarely pass on their own and need specific treatment at a hospital with measures like ESWL and cystoscopic retrieval of stone.‎

You might consult with your doctor for a examination and proper therapeutic advice.‎

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.