Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

Pain in upper right abdomen and back

Hi, I am having constant pain in abdomen in the upper right region just below where the ribs end. I also have pain in back just behind the same place. The pain does not seem to go away, and seems to be worst while sitting. The pain is dull and more of like pressure sensation. I have noticed recently that there is a change in bowel habits as well. I have to go more than once and feel the urge that there is more. It seems to alternate between constipation and rather loose gel like stool. It seems there is trapped air as well, as at times there is gargling sensation in the same region. I am also belching alot.There is mucus in stool but no blood confirmed by tests. There is a strange itch like sensation as well at times. I have lost about 7 pounds. Blood count is normal.

I went to a gastroenterologist and after examining he suggested taking Flagyl and Ciproxim for a week. The symptoms persisted so he asked to take for another week. After which the pain started to go away gradually. After a month the same symptoms are back again. I recall I first had the symptoms roughly 3-4 years back but they were mild and did not last long. They have been gradually increasing.

I was ignoring these symptoms, but recently my father was diagnosed with colon cancer. He had some similar symptoms. He has had his colon removed and is currently going though chemo. He was diagnosed at 79 years of age with stage C2. I am 32, my gastroenterologist says that it seems that I may have crohn's disease and that you don't get colon cancer at this age. He also says that taking too much tension maybe causing this - yet I don't feel any tension. For this reason he has not performed colonoscopy and endoscopy.

I am worried and not sure what to do. With the symptoms listed above should I get a second opinion? Would having a CT scan reveal anything? Hoping for some answers.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2010
Community Volunteer
You are 32 and your gastroenterologist says that it SEEMS that you have crohn's disease and you DON'T get colon cancer at this age...he has not performed colonoscopy and endoscopy.

Drop this particular doctor like a hot potato...

Should you get a 2nd opinion...ABSOLUTELY!!

A good gastro would want to get a look at your digestive tract to rule out / confirm a disorder/disease...not base it on symptoms alone.

I hope your father does well...cancer has no boundaries with regards to gender, age, location.

Best wishes,

Zig
|

replied February 1st, 2016
Dear Sir,
I searched the interned and found your symptoms are basically the same as mine. I was wondering what were the findings after colonoscopy and what was diagnosed?
Many thanks for your reply
|

replied July 10th, 2016
I have this same issue and that same exact pain. I'm 25 with pre cancerous polyps. My last coloncoscopy was last year and I was told that the polyps I had were normal and I didn't need to be checked again until after 50. I went to the gi last week I've lost 20 pounds in the past 2 months (I'm 5'6 and am wasting away at 100 pounds now) have been vomiting with severe loss of appetite my gallbladder was removed 3 weeks ago and a cat scan revealed a blockage in my colon. I just found out that i have precancerous polyps the Aprn was shocked that no one told me. Always always get another opinion and make sure you have your own medical records in your hands. I will let You know th results of my 4th colonoscopy in 2 weeks I've always known that pain in my side was off and wrong and not right. Go see another doctor and if you happen to discover what that pain is first let me know!
|
Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....