Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Pain in the left side of the abdomen

User Profile
my son has severe pain on his left side under bottom rib and he has a knot...pain travels around to his back and up his spine...

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2010
General Q and A Answer A13570
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that your son experiences.

There are several conditions that are characterized by pain in the left side of the abdomen under the bottom rib such as chondritis, pancreatitis and an enlarged spleen. Chondritis is inflammation of the cartilage that connects the rib with the sternum. It is characterized by pain near the sternum, swelling and possible redness of the skin. Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas and is characterized by pain which is located in the upper left abdomen and radiates towards the back, between the shoulder blades. The spleen can be enlarged in cases of infective diseases and hematological medical conditions.

Given the data that you described, your son may experience any of the medical conditions listed above. He may consider seeing his doctor to rule out possible chondritis and infection of blood count disorders. He may also consider seeing gastroenterologist to rule out possible pancreatitis.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please advise your son to contact his doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.