Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

pain in the center of his chest for years now

User Profile
a friend of mine has been complaining of pain in the center of his chest for years now. It keeps him up at all hours of the night. He likens it to a throbbing toothache pain, in the center of his chest. He's been to see many (5) different Gastrointerologists, has had 5 Colonoscopies which show no problems, they still typically treat him for Reflux even though the (4) Bravo tests show no acid problem, one even preformed a Laproscopic Fundoplasty installing clips on the esophagial sphincter, a later Endoscopy (1 of 5) revealed the clips were not doing anything. Another removed his Gall Bladder. Physicals reveal no heart problems. CT Scans, Ultrasound and MRI's have revealed nothing, but a minor spot on a lung that is being monitored...any clue as to what to check next? Is there another Specialist that might help? We are in Central NJ, but will travel.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2011
Chest Pain Answer A19692
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. In view of the symptoms described you, there are 3 possiblities which come to my mind. Firstly, a cardiac problem needs to be ruled out.

For the same, only a physical examination is not sufficient and he will need to undergo tests like stress EKG, Echocardiography, CT angiography to rule out a coronary artery disease problem.

Secondly, an upper GI endoscopy to rule out esophagitis and esophageal manometry to rule out a spasm of the esophagus. I sincerely hope this helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.