I have been experiencing pain / discomfort in my left side and sometimes my right side, below ribs. I went to my doctor mid January with similar symptoms and she thought it could be something concerning my colon, or a stomach complaint, or perhaps a cyst.

She tested me for H-pylori which came back positive, so she gave me a 30 day course of tablets to clear that up and also she prescribed 30 days tablets for my colon. Since I started these tablets, thankfully I hadn't experienced any discomfort and was feeling generally good.

For the last 3/4 days, the pain in my side has returned along with a feeling of nausea and sometimes sudden urges to go to the toilet. I have also felt quite hot over the last 2 days with these hot spells lasting maybe 10/15 mins at a time. I had wondered if what I eat is in some way affecting my stomach. I eat quite a lot of fruit (6-7 portions a day) and chicken/ meat along with maybe 2 slices of bread a day. However I haven't noticed any particular food trigger these symptoms. I have also noticed a little bit of blood on toilet paper when I pass stools although this apparently is not uncommon as I mentioned it to the doctor a few months ago and he said it was nothing to be unduly concerned about. Also sometimes my abdomen is "lumpy" and tender to the touch.

I am going for an abdominal scan in a fortnight to check that everything is ok in my lower abdomen and also to rule out any cysts. However until then, I have no relief/ idea what might be causing the discomfort.

Has anyone any idea / experienced anything similar?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
You should insist to get checked for pancreatitis (test that can revile how your pancreas is functioning).
Another thing that is more serious and is known as carcinoid syndrome, has range of symptoms that occur secondary to carcinoid tumors (in most of the cases located in the gastrointestinal tract).
Syndrome consist of abdominal pain, diarrhea, hot flushes affecting face and upper part of chests.
Additional symptoms are nausea, vomiting and breathing difficulties.

I don't wanna cause you an extra worries, but any time diarrhea is associated with hot flashes, this condition must be taken in consideration.

Best wishes!
Marija
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....