Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

pain in right kidney area no pain passing water

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Ok this has been going on for about two years now, was diagnosed everything from sciatica to pulled muscle till i stood up and asked for search, gall stones found and then removed along with gall bladder . told this should do the trick. no kidney stones found. pain back after operation and still no reason given , urine test showed borderline infection. am now awaiting results of second urine test.
i have paid privately for soft tissue damage just in case it was the result of the gallstones but this has not helped.
am drink lots of water and this does ease some pain, however this also means i cannot go walking the dogs as need to pass water more frequently.
can anyone suggest an answer to this long term problem that i can throw at the doctor when i see him again next week. thank you. annie
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 1st, 2017

Welcome to e health forum.

From the history provided it seems that you might be having post cholecystectomy syndrome (PCS).‎

Postcholecystectomy syndrome is the recurrence of symptoms similar to those ‎before the procedure—occurs in ‎‎‎‎10% to 40% of patients. ‎

The first problem is continuously increased bile flow into the upper GI tract, ‎which may contribute to esophagitis ‎‎‎and gastritis. The second consequence is ‎related to the lower GI tract irritation which can cause diarrhea (greenish diarrhea) and colicky ‎‎‎‎lower abdominal pain. ‎

Treatment of the condition might need treatment with antacids (like mylanta, tums), proton pump inhibitors ‎‎(omeprazole) and ‎antispasmodics (Dicyclomine). Lifestyle changes specifically adopting a low fat diet and weight ‎loss might also be ‎‎‎very helpful. ‎Medications like Cholestyramine can help to control the diarrhea.

Hence you may consult with a gastroenterologist who can examine you and provide proper prescription ‎medications, which may be of help.‎

I hope this helps.‎

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.