Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

pain in my sternum, and shortness of breath?

User Profile
I have been experienccing a tightness in my chest, it feels like someone is sucking all my oxcygen out. I get mild chest discomfort, and anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach. I am home with 3 small children, and since my husband is always working, I seem to battle the kids and daily routines alone. I feel pain in my sternum, and shortness of breath. 6 months ago, I had an ekg, and ultrasound of my heart and a 24 hour holter monitor that came back normal. I had those 3 procedures done twice in 3 years. I feel like I cannot take a full satisfying breath. I did suffer a major panic attack 8 years ago, and since then they seem to come frequently. should I worry, that there is something wrong with my heart or lungs? I feel like this is taking over my life. how accurate are those heart tests?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A22015

Hello.

The tests you have mentioned are quite specific about ruling out a disease condition. And when these tests are combined with clinical evaluation, the accuracy increases further. I guess the issue is not if there is something wrong about your heart or lungs, but what you can do to alleviate this unhealthy anxiety about having some problem with the heart or the lungs, as well as the anxiety about having other symptoms.

I assume you are under a significant amount of stress at present. Handling 3 children along with managing the household is a touch task. And you need to have adequate coping mechanisms. Your symptoms hint towards anxiety more than any medical illnesses. Anxiety is a manifestation of inner thoughts and beliefs. You might benefit from a combined anti-anxiety medication - psychotherapy approach.

Lastly, having mild mitral valve prolapse could be a reason why you might be anxious about heart-lung conditions. You need to reduce the anxiety to a minimum level before you can convince yourself that it's OK to feel this way, and that the various tests and clinical examination are more likely than not to pick up any problems.

Take care.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.