Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Pain in my left lower back above kidney.

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
Hi, recently I've been getting pain in my lower back above my kidney, it doesn't hurt on the outside it's more internal. It hurts when I walk sometimes and if I lift my left leg or raise my hip, even just simple movements as moving to get myself comfortable causes discomfort. It doesn't hurt if I press down on the area with my hand so it really makes me wonder if it is my kidney. The pain can get quite unbearable and it pops up unexpectedly sometimes making me gasp in pain and sometimes crumple over. Any idea what this is? I don't know whether it is to do with a kidney condition I have which is HSP or whether I've just strained myself carrying boxes of books in work. What can I do to stop it?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Pain that originates due to renal issues (Stones, infection) is episodic , spasmodic or colicky in ‎nature, ‎‎originating in the flank and radiating to the lower belly, inner thigh. It is ‎associated with other ‎‎symptoms like nausea, vomiting and systemic features due to any infection. ‎

Renal pain does not resolve with change in position nor with adequate rest and can even cause ‎sleep ‎disturbances. ‎

Renal colic may not respond to moderate or high doses of OTC pain killers and may need ‎immediate ‎medical attention with IV medications or Narcotic analgesics. ‎

Urinary infections present with burning pain or discomfort with urination. ‎

You might consider consulting your doctor or a Urologist for a physical examination and additional ‎evaluation (urine analysis and culture) ‎and proper treatment. ‎

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.