Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

pain in my left lower abdomen that radiates to my back.

User Profile
For the past 2 weeks i have been having moderate pain in my left lower abdomen that radiates to my back. I Have also been experiencing nausea and the pain gets worse when i move. The doctor first said it was a UTI and then the tests showed it was not the case, she then tried muscle relaxers which did nothing for me. They cannot seem to find anything wrong after cat scans, xrays and bloodwork. It is getting worse and i need answers, please help!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

Based on the history, it seems that your left sided abdominal pain could be associated with the following conditions :-
1. Gastritis, GERD.
2. Pancreatitis.
3. Colitis ( inflammation of the colon) or diverticulitis ; Inflammatory bowel disease.
4. left sided renal stones.
5. Malabsorption syndromes,

Additional tests which can be helpful to get a proper diagnosis can include testing for H Pylori, Upper and lower GI endoscopy and a Stool Examination.

But if all the extensive lab tests and Imaging studies are normal it could be possible that your pain could be due to functional causes. One such cause includes irritable bowel syndrome.

Irritable bowel syndrome IBS, is a chronic functional disorder characterized by cramping abdominal pain or discomfort with alterations in bowel habits (bloating, constipation, and diarrhea).

IBS does not cause any permanent damage or any serious illness but the symptoms cause severe discomfort & distress affecting an individuals work, ability to travel and attend social events.

Most symptoms of IBS can be controlled with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications (laxatives, antidiarrheal, antispasmodics, or antidepressants).

Hence it would be recommended that you consult with your doctors and seek appropriate medical advice.

I hope this helps.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.