Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

pain in my intestines and pancreas area before my period?

User Profile
I have a question regarding menstruation. I had the whipple procedure done 4 years ago, and had part of my pancreas removed and a part of my upper intestine removed.Ever since, I have had to alter my diet and avoid certain foods because it causes pain. I have been taking Nexium daily and buscopan on occasion before a meal for constipation. I notice that before my period every month I experience pain in my intestines and pancreas area. Is this irritable Bowel or pancreatitis? Why do I get this reoccurring pain every month? Is this due to swelling? Also, my husband and I would like to have a baby and wonder if it is safe? I wonder about being swollen and with my extended belly, will this cause more pain in my pancreas area and scar tissue and is being pregnant safe after whipple procedure? Thanks for your reply.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 7th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A31224
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
There have been instances of women having uncomplicated pregnancy after Whipple’s procedure. Depending on the current condition and post surgical complications, the chances of having a healthy pregnancy would vary. The scars tissues and adhesions if formed can cause pain and pressure related symptoms as you progress with pregnancy. It would be best to go ahead with thorough evaluation before planning your pregnancy. Visit your gynecologist to discuss your pregnancy plans and go ahead with further evaluation done to see if you can go ahead with pregnancy.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.