Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

pain in my belly on my left side and i've got green poo

User Profile
doctor.. please can you help me im in so much painin my belly mostly on my left side it comes and goes during the day. i havent come on my period this month i was proberly on about 1 whole day out the month and ive got green poo its not diahrea and its not solid can u think of anything it could be??

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2012
Abdominal Pain Answer A33635
Welcome to e health forum.

Your symptoms are probably due to indigestion, acute gastritis, irregular dietary habits, or due to presence of ulcers in the stomach.

Gastritis occurs when the lining of the stomach becomes inflamed or swollen. Gastritis can last for only a short time (acute gastritis), or linger for months to years (chronic gastritis).

Gastritis pain occurs in the left upper portion of the abdomen and in the back. Other symptoms of gastritis include - Belching, Nausea and vomiting, Bloating, Feeling of fullness or burning in the upper part of the belly.

First and foremost, you need to avoid foods that make your symptoms increase. Adopting a healthy dietary practices and a good exercise regimen will also help.

Some tips to help your symptoms include:-
1. Reducing intake of hot spicy and Fat rich foods, fried foods, is very important.
2. Try eating a little more slowly. When you eat fast, you swallow extra air with your food. Try to not talk while eating. Extra air while eating can lead to belching and gas production.
3. Eating at the same time each day and eating smaller meals more frequently may be beneficial as well.
4. Try to eat a balanced diet. Foods with high fiber may initially increase gas production. However, the this will decrease over time.
5. It is better not to drink fluids with your food. Drinking fluids with meals can increase your air intake and increase gas.
6. Avoid major gas and acid producing foods like -
- Vegetables: Onions, Celery, Carrots, broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cucumber, Cabbage,Cauliflower, Radishes , potatoes and eggplant.
- Beans, peas, Green salads, brown rice and leeks
- Fruits like - Raisins, Bananas, Apricots, Prunes, dried fruit
- Carbohydrates rich foods like - Bagels, Wheat Germ, Pretzels,puddings, breads.
- Cured meats and high fat meat products such as sausages, salami, ham, bacon, and Red meats like beef and lamb should be reduced in consumption or avoided totally.

In case, if you are not helped by medications and by following the above measures, then you should consult with a gastroenterologist for tests including barium swallow, upper GI endoscopy which might help in making a definitive diagnosis.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.