Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

pain in lower left pelvic area possible ovarian cancer?

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
User Profile
I am a 30 yr old female on bc pills. I recently developed breast tenderness and pain in my lower left pelvic area, similar to the pain I had 10 years ago when I had an ovarian cyst (that cyst went away on its own). I am worried about the possibility of ovarian cancer and am wondering if I should see a gyn about this. I've also been experiencing gas and some bowel irregularities

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2011
Ovulation and Ovaries Answer A27010
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Since you have had history of ovarian cysts, you should have considered discussing about it with your gynecologist before getting started on the hormonal contraceptive pills. Consider visiting your gynecologist at the earliest for further evaluation to look at the current status (especially to rule out ovarian cancer, rupture of existing cysts, atypical cysts, growing cysts etc). If the cysts get diagnosed to be benign cysts, you can continue the use of your hormonal birth control. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any unusual/new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
The symptoms (breast tenderness, pelvic pain, feeling gassy, bowel habit changes) could also be suggestive of possibility of pregnancy (as a result of contraceptive failure). Look out for development of any other new symptoms. Wait and watch for your periods/withdrawal bleeding. If pregnancy is suspected, visit your doctor/gynecologist for further examination (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) and blood/serum HCG level test (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.