User Profile
I have pain in my one ear when I blow my nose or push on the tab of my ear. What could this be?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2010
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A12154
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You are concerned about ear pain. This might be the beginning of ear infection. When you blow your nose, some of the fluid comes out, while some of it enters the ear through the Eustachian tube. Eustachian tube maintains the pressure equal on both sides of ear drum. Sometimes, the eustachian tube may malfunction. For example, when someone has a cold or an allergy affecting the nasal passages, the eustachian tube may become blocked by congestion in its lining or by mucus within the tube. This blockage will allow fluid to build up within the normally air-filled middle ear. Bacteria or viruses that have entered the middle ear through the eustachian tube can also get trapped in this way. These germs can breed in the trapped fluid, eventually leading to an ear infection also called as acute otitis media. If the fluid inside the ear is not infected, it is called as secretory otitis media(SOM). SOM usually heals on its own in few days. Some use decongestants though these have limited role.
You must consult otorhinolaryngologist to find the specific cause and appropriate treatment. You should avoid exposure to cigarette smoke which is an irritant and further interfere with Eustachian tube function.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.