Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Pain in chest and shoulder

User Profile
hi i have got ashma i am a electrician and when i lift anything i get a tight pain in chest which then leads to breathing problems.blue inhaler works after a while.if i cough when i get this pain i have a black out up to now it lasts about 30 seconds.the other problem i get regular is a very bad pain in the back of my shoulder which penertrates through to my chest again this really restricts my breathing.a massage helps.all of this has restricted what i can do.i only got ashma in 2009.but cant hold a job down now due to my breathing problem.i have never been out of work in 30 years.with out fail every night i wake up at 3am coughing weasing cant catch my breath.can any of the above be solved thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2010
Asthma Answer A9803
Hi,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

The pains which you are having seem to be muscular pains only and I don’t think you need to worry much regarding the same.

I’ll suggest using a topical analgesic (painkiller) cream. However, you should be a little cautious while taking aspirin for the relief of pain as it can cause worsening of the asthma.

The cough which wakes you up in the middle of the night are likely due to a poor control of the asthma and thus you need to consult a chest physician and you’ll likely need some more drugs like inhalational steroids for a good control of the asthma.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Asthma , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.