Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Pain in carotid arteries in neck while running

User Profile
Hi, my name is Katie, I am 16, healthy, a competitive swimmer, and have never smoked or drink at all.
As an athlete, I like to keep in shape, obviously, and I know running regularly can really get the blood flowing and give me a balanced muscle build and help me for swimming. But whenever I run for about 3/4 of a mile, the carotid artery in my neck, usually the one on the left side, gives me trouble. It pounds very heavily, so much that it hurts and I have to stop for a while before I can run again. During this time I usually have trouble breathing; I start wheezing, like my throat is closing up.
When I was born, the doctors tested my heart for something, but otherwise I had never had problems like this before. This condition when I run has been around since elementary school during PE classes.
Can any of you tell me what this might be, and how I can prevent it?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 10th, 2013
Hi - my pain is just a pulsating pain on the left side. Recently went to the Chiropractor. Started two days later. No bulging - it is driving me cray.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....