Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

pain in ankles and wrists, 46 and feel like 90

left wrist started a few years ago, was using a drill/screwgun and just cant hold it in my left hand anymore, i drop things if i turn wrist a certain way. right wrist is just starting but doesnt limit me yet. have seen ortho for left wrist and both ankles, he has focused on my flat feet and will not do anything or discuss other issues, says one thing at a time. when i first went to ortho, he looked at all 3, determined that i had extreme arthritis in wrist, both feet are flat and require surgery to correct. didnt adress ankles as feet need fixed first. i am assuming ankles and other wrist have arthritis, pain is worse on cold damp days. evan a walk to fridge is uncomfortable but 2 hours on feet is horrable, and i am done after that. 2 years with docs, 1 1/2 with ortho and could be another year until he adresses 1,ONE,only one of my joints. not looking for sympathy nor an online cure, simply some advice on what is causing pain, in so many areas, is it arthritis? what can i do to increase time on feet? 2 hrs isnt enough to pay bills. last and most important, is it typical for a doc to ignore other issues and focus on only one? in other words, do i shut up and wait patiantly or find new doc and start all over? it would be easier to wait patiantly if i knew what to expect, am i going to be in a wheel chair, or healed and hiking the appalachan trail in a year? do i find a new line of work? etc.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile CarolineEF
|

User Profile
replied February 16th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi jrinaman and welcome to ehealth: It sounds to me like you have CT in your wrist...Add some Arthritis to it and other parts of your body and you are talking about this new phase in life...That being "aging"...How can you increase the time on your feet?...Possibly a knee replacement or hips....That is if they are bad...I am older than dirt...I didn't want to have pains in my legs either, but they hit you...I would suggest using some pain pills and trying to gut it out...I wish I could tell you something different like finding the "fountain of youth", but I can't....Maybe the doctor will be able to help you sometime soon...I wish you well...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied February 17th, 2011
not ct, was tested 2 yrs ago. wrist has no cartlidge, bone starting to wear away.i know why left wrist hurts, and fusion was recomended, but doc wont do ANYTHING for it now because he is treating my flat feet. i simply dont use my left hand. i cant qut using my feet. i have been "gutting out" the ankle pain for decades, last 5 years was unbearable. finally went to doc when i couldnt work a full day. hips are fine, knees hurt sometimes, but under conditions that would hurt anyone.as far as getting old, i can deal with that but most 80 yr olds walk better than me. doc hasnt evan looked at ankles, so i dont know that it is arthritis. just wish i knew what was wrong and likely progression. then i can decide if i go back to school at 46 yrs old or wait for operations and return to my current career. the rest of my life is effected by what doc tells me, so do i get a new doc or are they all the same? is that why we are called patiants?
|

replied July 14th, 2011
Wrist and ankle pain
Hi I have been having wrist and ankle pain and have no idea what from. Been tested for MS, fibro ruled out numerous MRI's and bloodwork. just wondering where you are at with answers? I am a 41 yr old female.
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....