I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the dental treatment I have literally just had....

A few weeks ago I went to the dentist because one of my fillings had come out. The dentist put a temporary filling in, this involved a lot of drilling and NO injection....I won't even endeavour to describe the pain. Today I went to get the proper filling in. My first question was is it going to be numbed? Luckily she said yes. When she started drilling though I could still feel immense pain, as though i'd never been given an injection in the first place. I did try and tell the dentist this but she just said that it was the acid erosion that was causing the pain....

When she finished drilling she started with the filling stuff. About 5 minutes in I felt like something was slipping down my throat. When she finished she set about filling in bits of paper while I fished some sort of piece of pretend tooth from out of my mouth. Throughout the whole thing she had no one assisting her.

i'm not a dentist so have no idea how these things are meant to go. If anyone can shed any light on whether this amount of pain and an injection not working is normal or whether this sort of procedure is normally done with just a single dentist I would much appreciate it.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 24th, 2012
Yes I agree with Amanda, It will create more and nore pain.
|

User Profile
replied September 5th, 2012
i live in new york and have tried a bunch of dentists. i recently had a cavity and filling fixed and i think the dental experience you had with your dentist was a bad one, because mine went smoothly and i felt nothing. I usually get pretty irked out by the needle cause it stings a bit but it was amazing and i didnt feel the 2 injections they gave me. in the past i've felt pain like you described and i've learned that it's all got to do with the dentists technique. fortunately i have a great dentist now and they have pretty high tech gear and equipment too. you might want to try a new dentist next time but try to get a good referral before u go
|

User Profile
replied September 5th, 2012
btw I used R+R Dental in new york. they're pretty damn good and i'm surprised by how much technology and stuff has changed over the years because they definitely use the most cutting edge dentistry stuff
|

replied September 27th, 2012
Hi,
It much depends on the techniques and technologies used by dentists.I have never heard from any person about such pain during filling at least.You must consult some other dentists.
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....