Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

pain, constipation, severe gas discomfort whenever I eat...

Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
User Profile
For about the past 3-4 months I have experienced bad abdominal pain, constipation, severe gas and bloating and discomfort whenever I eat or drink anything including water. I just wanted to know what could be causing a of this. I have no known food allergies and I just need some help so I can stop the discomfort. Thankyou

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 8th, 2011
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A28315
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Based on the history and the description of the cramps and specifically, in absence of major symptoms ‎like fever, loss of weight, appetite, bloody stools, etc, you may be having Irritable bowel syndrome ‎‎(IBS).‎

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic functional disorder characterized by cramping abdominal ‎pain or discomfort with alterations in bowel habits (bloating, constipation, and diarrhea). These ‎symptoms usually are present for at least 12 weeks in a patient during the previous one year, and ‎unfortunately the onset or subsidence cannot be predicted. ‎

IBS is diagnosed by its signs and symptoms and by the absence of other diseases. IBS does not cause ‎any permanent damage or any serious illness but the symptoms cause severe discomfort & distress ‎affecting an individuals work, ability to travel and attend social events. ‎

Most symptoms of IBS can be controlled with diet, stress management, and prescribed medications ‎‎(laxatives, antidiarrheals, antispasmodics, or antidepressants). ‎

For symptom relief, you may consider to take antacids for acid relief, activated charcoal for bloating ‎and stomach gas issues.‎

You may consider to consult your physician or a gastroenterologist for counselling if you have any ‎additional doubts. ‎

I hope you find this helpful.‎

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.