Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

pain and discomfort on the right side of my lower abdomen

Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
User Profile
I am having slight pain and discomfort on the right side of my lower abdomen close to my hip bone. This occured during PMS last month but went away after my period started. It has become persistent this month and has been accompanied by a low grade fever and regular PMS symptoms. My period is now 2 days late. Last night after sex, I had some pink discharge and assumed I was going to start my period but nothing happened. My husband and I have been trying for months to conceive with no luck. I took 2 at home pregnancy tests but both came back negative. Should I be worried?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2011
Ovulation and Ovaries Answer A24188
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the cause without examining you. Your symptoms could be suggestive of possibility of pregnancy. Urine pregnancy tests can show false negative results at times hence they cannot be relied upon for accuracy. You should consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for thorough examination and further investigations to look for the cause (infection, inflammation, ovarian cysts, PID etc) and get started on treatment as indicated. If you suspect to be pregnant, consider getting further examination done (to confirm pregnancy related changes/signs in body) along with blood/serum HCG level test and ultrasound scan (to confirm/rule out pregnancy accurately). Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.