Medical Questions > Cancer > Stomach Cancer Forum

pain after partial gastrectomy

Please help my father. He had a partial gastrectomy in Oct 2009 for Stage I stomach cancer. His surrounding lymph nodes and gall bladder were also removed. He is now considered cancer free, but ever since the operation, he has had considerable pain. The pain constant but very intense whenever he would eat. He was able to continue to work parttime and live a semi-normal life while taking Hydrocodone for the pain. In March, due to his weight loss, he had a feeding tube inserted and exploratory surgery. The surgery revealed nothing (altho a surgeon's second opinion revealed that his scar was so small he didn't think they had explored much). Ever since the exploratory surgery, he has constant severe pain, much worse than before. He can barely make it out of his chair/couch once a day. Meanwhile, even the food going into the feeding tube, which bypasses the stomach, causes pain. His weight has plummetted to 150lbs from 220lbs since the beginning of all this, but 30 lbs as of the last six months. He is now on TPN and is in so much pain and nauseated that he cannot even attempt to eat by mouth. Please help. My family and I don't know where to turn. We hear him literally moaning in pain daily and can't do a thing about it. If anyone has any suggestions, we will try anything.
Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 29th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy

User Profile
replied July 9th, 2018
Experienced User
My uncle has stomach cancer in 4 stages. He was cut out of his stomach. He is eating liquid, mashed food.
|