Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Pain after inguinal and femoral hernia ops

Hi
I have been looking to find any information on post operation pain after two hernia ops. I had my first hernia repair on the 23rd of June which was inguinal and after 3 weeks I had to see the doctor to find out why I still had a large lump and found that the hernia repaired was not the same one I was examined for.On the 5th of August I had a femoral hernia repair 6 weeks after the first and both side by side. I have been back at work for the last 4 weeks and am still on light duties and have pain both in the area of the incision, the inner thigh, and testicle as well as a burning that comes and goes near the groin. I find that I get sore when I am on my feet for more than an hour and by 2 hours I am having sharper pain and tend to not walk as well. I have noticed after work that there tends to be what looks like slight redness or pinkness around the incision of the second op. I know that there will be some discomfort after surgery but this feels to me to be a bit more than that. I have made an oppointment to see my GP and will ask for another ultrasound if possible. Am I wrong to push this or should I be treating it as normal?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 25th, 2008
Doctor visit
Saw my GP today and he has me in for an ultrasound on Monday and has made an appointment for me to see another surgeon for a second opinion. He did not say much at all after he examined me just that we should get a second opinion so here we go again. I am still hoping that it is just scare tissue. you know what they say, Live in hope............. Rolling Eyes scared
|

replied September 29th, 2008
Ultrasound results
There were no recurrent hernias seen but there is tissue inflammatory changes around the femoral canal with acutely reactive nodes. Does anyone know what this means? Is it just that things are not yet healed or is there an infection?
The doctor didn't give me anything for it so I assume it is not an infection but I really don't know.
|

replied October 2nd, 2008
Surgeon
Saw the surgeon today and gave him a look at the ultrasounds. He read the report and seemed to hesitate before putting me back on full duties as of Monday. The fact that I am still in a lot of discomfort after moving trolleys or climbing in and out of the truck among other things seems to be all part it. He did say that if I have further problems to see him again. drama
He did say that the reason for the inflammatory changes around the femoral canal are because he wrapped mesh around it and what they are seeing is the mesh glance which makes this feel more like a patchwork quilting session than a hernia repair.
Sorry for the tone in this post but after 2 ops since June and not being as pain free as I would have hoped plus a doctor more worried about work cover than how well I am doing, what can I say, I am not very happy with this.
Can't run, can't lift waights or do the gym. I am starting to feel old!
|

replied October 8th, 2008
Full Duties
I have been back at work on full duties for this week and am having back pain which I would say is dew to me compensating for the stomach. I keep thinking that I am doing OK and then I get sharp pains and a catching feeling sometimes when I walk or have been doing jobs that require me to bend. Also have discomfort still when I do any lifting, even gentle palates give discomfort. I am thinking of seeing the doctor again but then I will be seeing one on the 21st of Oct anyway. Anyone else have these sort of things going on? Is this normal after 9 to 10 weeks?
|

replied October 21st, 2008
Another Doctor
Had my oppointment with the other doctor today and he went through everything with me from start to finish and then did a very thorough examination. He told me that it is normal to have burning sensations in the inguinal mesh area and could have for up to six months and as for the femoral hernia he said that he would have done the same thing and that because of the two ops being so close together it will take up to another two months for this to heal well. Things have started to settle down now and I hope they will continue to improve. Now I just have to do what I can to help the healing process and see what happens over the next two months. I have never taken this long to heal. (I feel old).
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....