Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Forum

Pain after carpal tunnel release surgery

User Profile
I had carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands a year ago it's been nothing but pain and problems since I finally got the dr to listen to me and he did another emg which shows I still have carpal tunnel he said its a tad better than last year but not much. He wants me to go to hand therapy do you think that will help after all this time or is it just more of a waste? I have no grip strength constantly dropping things, pain in my hands up my forearms and tingling and numbness in my fingers. Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2017
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Answer A62076
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Carpal tunnel release surgeries are usually pretty effective up to 95 % with 5 years recurrence rate less than 20 %. If the tunnel is still there obstructing the nerve, physiotherapist can help with the pain and if it persists then re opening the tunnel is wise.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn the basics about carpal tunnel syndrome here: causes, risk factors and complications....
Are some people born with carpal tunnel? More here on what can cause carpal tunnel syndrome and who is at risk of developing the condition....
Carpal tunnel syndrome is accompanied by very clear signs and symptoms. But how do symptoms change as the syndrome progresses? More info here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Carpal Tunnel Syndrome , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.