Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

Pacreatic cancer symptoms ?

Just found this board and looking for some insight. My father started experiencing symptoms of jaundice, abdominal pain, and itching back in September '07. He went into the hospital and was told he had ppacreatitis They gave him some antibiotics and his jaundice cleared up and he felt healthy and went back to work. Several weeks later he was back in for the same problem. This time they did a probe and found that he was have problems with the duct coming from his galbladder. They cut a slit in the duct to allow stones to pass through. After being fine for several weeks he was back in with the same symptoms again. This time the said the infection was due to the infection into the slit in the duct. This time they went with the stint. After about 1 month with no symptoms....there they were again. Two days in the hospital with antibiotics and it was cleared up again. This time they decided to do a CT scan and keep him on antibiotics. After two weeks the test was done. Bad news is what we received....a tumor found in the pancreas. The biopsy has been done but no results yet.
From what I have read on many forums about symptoms, something does not seem right. He has had major pancreatic cancer symptoms for over 6months which is most peoples average survival time. No symptoms as long as he is on the antibiotics.
I am wondering if anyone else has seen this lengthy time of symptoms with pancreatic cancer.
We are praying for the best news possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Please keep my father in your prayers.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It is very difficult to diagnose pancreatic cancer as the pancreas is so deep within the body and symptoms vary depending on the exact location of the tumor in the pancreas and often are non-specific symptoms.
Abdominal pain, jaundice and itching are usually first manifestation of pancreatic cancer.
Some patients with pancreatic cancer may also have pancreatitis, inflammation of the pancreas, due to malignant process in the pancreas (this could be explanation why the symptoms very subsiding).
The presence of pancreatitis can complicate diagnosis as it may mask pancreatic cancer in diagnostic imagery.

Do you know the exact location of tumor in pancreas?

You and your family will be in my prayers!
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2019
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Its very difficult to diagnose in initial stage because of its vague presentation. Most people have pain epigastrium radiating to back for several months before full bloom symptoms like obstructive jaundice appears.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.