my father has alzheimers and has recently started pacing. He can't sit for more than 2-3 minutes and then he paces back and forth for several minutes. This goes on for a couple hours at a time and is worse at night time. Anyone else experiencing this? How do you minimize it? I have tried redirecting him but that too seems to only last a couple minutes. When I ask him if there is something wrong he says he is nervous but never offers any clues as to what he is nervous about. Maybe he doesn't even know himself but I would like to be able to settle him down at night so we can both get much needed rest. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dadspride
|

User Profile
replied June 11th, 2009
Supporter
I think what he has is called sundowners..He gets agitated when the night rolls in..

You may want to try hot chocolate or soothing music..
Before my dad fell and broke his hip he enjoyed both and still does..Only know he uses a walker some and cant dance anymore or get around very good..I really dislike the thoght of more meds but if needed then so be it..I wish you the best..
|

replied June 11th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
This is common in elderly people. It more than likely has nothing to do with the Alzheimer's. I have seen many older people do this, including my grandmother. Sometimes medication to relax or calm them down helps. I don't know if your father can take those kinds of meds, but you could mention it to his doctors and see what they can do for him.
|

replied March 22nd, 2012
alzheimer's pacing
my husband paces constantly and sleeps very little; no more than 45 minutes to an hour at night; none during the day. it is very difficult to deal with...don't have any answers
|

replied May 30th, 2018
Alzheimer's Pacing
My mom does the same thing. She is in early stage 7 and 83 years old. She can hold eye contact for just a moment, then she has to get up and move. She walks aimlessly around the room. We have her on clonazepam and will start seraquel this week. She is also showing violent behavior - tearing shutters off the bedroom windows, tearing apart the dresser (even the back of the dresser).
Its the Alzheimers, the brain malfunctioning... so hard to watch.
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.
Must Read
Alzheimer's disease is a brain disorder that causes dementia. But what causes Alzheimers? What signs can you look for?...
Learn the most common signs and symptoms of the onset of Alzheimer Disease. We also discuss symptoms of dementia so you can know when to seek help. ...
Doctors can help determine the cause of memory loss or symptoms associated with Alzheimers. We outline the diagnostic protocol for AD and exams that are needed....