Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Ovulation and Next Choice

I am currently taking the birth control Generess Fe. I have not missed any pills in months. I was recently given an antibiotic Augmentin (amoxicillin) for a chest infection. My doctor told me that the antibiotic would most likely not, but could, affect my birth control. According to my period tracker I ovulated yesterday, which is not good because we were extremely careless. I freaked out so I took Next Choice emergency contraception. I took it approximately 18 hours after having sex.

What is the likelihood that my birth control quit working because of the antibiotic?
What is the likelihood that I got pregnant in the 18 hours before taking the Next Choice?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile kristigraham
|

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2013
Community Volunteer
What is the likelihood that my birth control quit working because of the antibiotic?

Very small. Only a few types of antibiotics are known to interfere with your body's mechanism of dealing with estrogen.

What is the likelihood that I got pregnant in the 18 hours before taking the Next Choice?

Very small.

By the way, your period tracker can help you to remember when your next period will start, but since you do not ovulate or menstruate while on the pill, it is not worth much for anything else.
|

replied January 2nd, 2013
Thank you! This will ease my mind!
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...