Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Overwhelmed and Depressed

I'm not sure what good this will do, but I dont know what to do with myself anymore. I'm 17, male, and a high school junior. I have severe depression. I am on medication, but it doesnt help; especially in a home where I have nobody who fully understands what I'm going through. I'm overweight, pre-diabetic actually and can't get the motivation to do anything about it. My father died of a cocaine od when I turned 11. Ive been left without a man to guide me in life, having taught myself to shave and use tools. Nothing ever seems to go my way. I dont understand why things are going the way they are for me. Im friendly, kind, and caring but my life is turning to utter trash. Every time I think I have things figured out, something else blindsides me and Im back to crying until my nose bleeds. I cant find love, I cant stop eating, and I cant stop crying. I pull myself off as a manly guy, but on the inside Im a sad little person with no confidence or self esteem. I feel buried in other problems that Im to lazy to list. I dont understand how Im doing what I'm doing now...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 5th, 2013
Hi there,

Talking about your concerns is a brave move! Thank you! Although I'm much older, I'm dealing with almost the same loneliness of figuring this out. Ive agreed to a medication and psychotherapy to start on a path of learning. I live alone and have only 2 friends. Just like you, I don't want to bother anyone else with my problems (yes, they feel like problems) i am home alone for the next 8 weeks to see if this path will make a positive change. It's been 9 days and I'm feeling even lonelier than when I went to work. Anyhow...I must stress to you...the Dr I'm seeing makes me feel better about my world, life, my future. I have crappy days which remind me of why I'm seeking help, BUT, the great days (exciting, motivating) days I see the psychologist are wonderful AND they offer relief from such negativity I live with everyday in my mind. PLEASE ADD the counseling of a depression dr into your recovery to aid you in moving forward to a happiness only you WILL enjoy. RX's are helpful, but they won't fix the soul alone. Statistically, people with friends they can talk to avoid or minimize depression symptoms for ONE reason only....TALK. Knowing you can freely express your thoughts and feelings and get back solid applicable advice is the cure. It may take US awhile, but everything in life that matters doesn't happen overnight. I wish you the very best and hope you find peace real soon. Your life is just beginning and I pray you make the decision to change what you don't like and GET everything you do with the help of an expert who CAN get you there. Hugs and well wishes for a bright exciting future!!!
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2013
Being so young, you have alot to look forward to! I would recommend making new pen pals online or friends. Even just one or two it would help you. YOu need someone to talk to. You'll see, you'll feel better if you have a couple good friends in your life. Good luck! Hope you feel better soon! Don't let depression keep you down. There's alot to look forward to in life, you need to go out and live it and enjoy it!
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....