Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Overtraining affects my sleep, eating

Hi,

Having over-trained in the past (and had it adversely affect my sleep) I'm cautious now when exercising not to overdo it, and only to gradually increase intensity over time. However, I have recently noticed that it does appear to still affect sleep quality. I should think that this is a result of doing too much in a session, but I personally feel I am under-working each time - only to have it affect me that night.

It was not a very long time (several months) ago that I had over-trained, so is it possible I still need to rest still longer for my body to fully recover, or am I perhaps just pushing too hard - despite my assumptions?

In addition, strangely, I often can go most of the day without eating enough - evidentially, as when I lie down to sleep, I suddenly feel hungry, and am unable to sleep properly until I have eaten. Specifically, I might sleep for half an hour, then wake up, then another half hour, and wake up - keep waking up like that until I've eaten a certain amount (which I cannot portend as before then I'm not hungry!).

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 15th, 2014
I had a similar problem. Make sure you're getting enough magnesium in your diet. I started supplementing with about 500 mg of magnesium before bed and it helped tremendously. Also, try mixing a scoop of whey protein with water and drinking it before bed. It will satiate your hunger through the night, as well as prevent muscle breakdown. good luck to you!
|

replied April 17th, 2014
Active User, very eHealthy
Hi, drmonkey's idea about eating before bed sounds reasonable to me. Personally, I prefer actual food over supplements. Something nutritionally dense that takes awhile to digest like yogurt or better yet peanut butter on a whole wheat cracker provides protein plus complex carbs that can help support better sleep.

Regarding restorative sleep, generally the body responds to intense exercise by increasing the amount of deep or slow wave sleep. It is during the SWS stages that blood primarily flows to the muscles and not the brain, toxins are cleared from the body, and cells are replenished with energy. This process is entirely autonomic, meaning you have no conscious control of it while asleep.

I think it's safe to assume this process is happening as it should, unless you have reason to believe otherwise. In that case, see a medical doctor to help find the underlying cause.

Otherwise, try eating something before bed to see if that helps support more restorative sleep.
|
This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.