Medical Questions > Parenting > Preschool Kids Forum

Overmedicating Preschool Children

My son has been dealing with reoccurring bronchitis and acid reflux since last May. He is currently taking the following medications: Mucinex 100 mg/5 ml 2 tsp 2 x daily, Extendryl Chewable tab 1 tab 2 x daily, Prevacid 15 mg solutab 1 tab 2 x daily, Metoclopram sol 5mg/5ml 4 x daily before meals and bedtime, Delsym ½ tsp 2 x daily, Zithromax 100 mg/5ml 1 tsp daily 3 x per week for prophylaxis antibiotics due to recurrent bronchitis, Albuterol 0.083% nebulization 4 x per day mixed with Ipratropium Bromide 2.5 ml alternate with Pulmicort respules 0.5 ml.

I’m concerned that all these medicines on such a small child could be harmful to his body. He is 4 ½ years old and weighs 38 lbs. He is sick now, so when he is well we reduce the breathing treatments to Albuterol only and usually twice a day and Mucinex to 1 tsp 2 x daily. We are currently on the Zithromax daily for 10 days.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper RoseJan12
|

replied March 28th, 2009
Tylenol & young children
My grandson has been medicated with Tylenol for every gum ache and everything else since infancy. I have pleaded that this is overmedication and unnecessary. He is now three and is slow to speak. His eyesight and hearing test fine. Can overmedication of infacts cause minimal brain dysfunction or irreversible brain damage?
|

replied July 3rd, 2010
My 5 year old son has had problems with hyperactivity for awhile now and it seemed to me more prevalent at school. He had problems in preschool including a suspension and his behavioral problems persisted in kindergarden. At the begining of this school year I had him see a counselor to help him adjust but it still wasn't working. He can't seem to focus on anything at school including schoolwork, storytime, calendar time. He's very active both mentally and physically.

|