I have a 6 week old and I swear she nurses every half hour or hour when she's awake. She's pretty plump. How do I know if I'm overfeeding her? Nothing seems to calm her down until I feed her. I try everything from checking her diaper, rocking her, bouncing her, giving her a pacifier but nothing works until I feed her. She screams until I give in. What should I do? Is this normal? I have a 3 yr old who didn't go through this- I feel so incompetent this time around. Please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Every baby is different. Even if your 3yo didn't do it, the the baby will still do what she wants. Some babies like to keep different schedules and may "cluster feed" and then sleep for a long time. As long as she is getting enough sleep, then there is no reason to worry. Some babies just love the closeness. You can also try using a pacifier and holding her close to your skin if you don't think she is really hungry.

Also, she may like nursing because she is gassy. In this case, she shouldn't be eating, because putting more food on a gassy tummy will make it worse. If she is generally happy otherwise, then you can rule this out. Baby gas drops or gripe water can help.

Babies can also go through growth spurts. At this time you will feel like the baby is always nursing and sleeping. This is ok too.

The only other problem might be that your milk supply is suddenly not keeping up with her demands for some reason. She is plump, but if you haven't kept up with 30 minute intervals (which is very hard to do) then she might not be getting what she wants. You might want to check her weight regularly, since it is impossible to know exactly how much milk she is actually getting while she is nursing, and weight would be the indicative factor.

Good luck, and congrats on your little one Smile
|
Users who thank mominashoe for this post: ctrule 

Experienced User
Hi Mominashoe,
Ok, I feel a little better. I've been wondering what gripe water is. Does it relieve gas? I don't think she's gassy though.
I have noticed that some nights she will cluster feed and conk out for 4-5 hours but other nights seem to go on and on...
Thank you for the congrats! Smile
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Gripe water is a little different than the simethicone drops ( baby gas drops) because I believe it addresses a few other problems besides the actual gas. It's a rededy of European origin that helps with colic and things associated with colic, because of it's calming effects and properties of gas reduction. It has ginger in it, which is a great gas reducer (I use it straight out of my spice rack sometimes for myself).

Here's a helpful link Smile

babyslumber.com/articles/baby/what-is-grip e-water-and-how-does-it-help-infant-colic/
|

Experienced User
Thanks- I just read the info on gripe water and it was helpful. I like that it's all natural.
Don't get me wrong, I know all babies are different, but I've been thrown for a loop with this one. I think it's bc this time around I'm taking care of a toddler on top of an infant so I'm sleep deprivated which doesn't help. I'm so blessed and grateful for my little girls!
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Yes, indeed you are! I have 6 kids and I am still getting thrown through loops, so you are not alone Smile Don't hesitate to come back any time with your questions, and I'll (or we'll) try to answer them as fast and as best as we can!
|
Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....