Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Overactive bladder syndrome

Must Read
Urinary continence is loss of bladder control. What happens during this condition? And what types of bladder incontinence do doctors diagnose?...
Learn more about the many medical conditions that can cause loss of bladder control. Also, are you at risk of incontinence and losing bladder control?...
Learn the different between symptoms of incontinence vs. an overactive bladder. And know when to seek help for both medical conditions....
User Profile
why would my bladder shrink after all thease years.
i had surgery where they filled it with water to try to stretch it but that didnt work.
is there something else i can do to correct it im at my whits end.
i cant go anywhere without worring about weather i will make it to the bathroom in time.
please help.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2009
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A7142

According to the data you reported (frequent urge to urinate almost to degree of urine incontinence), it seems likely that you might be experiencing overactive bladder syndrome. Overactive bladder syndrome is a condition in which the detrusor (the muscle that contracts in order to expel the urine from the bladder) contracts involuntarily without any control. This causes the urge to urinate and combined with a weak bladder sphincter might lead to urine incontinence.

In this condition there is no actual shrinking of the bladder. Shrinking of the bladder is often mistaken for this condition.

The causes for hyperactivity bladder syndrome are not quite well understood. However, there are several pieces of advice that might help you at least improve the condition. Avoiding caffeine, which acts as a diuretic, and alcohol in various people might reduce the quantity of urine filled over time. Training the bladder to keep more urine over time might “teach” the detrusor muscle to keep the increased quantity of urine inside the bladder. If there is also stress incontinence present it might be solved with pelvic floor exercises.

Medications called anticholinergics might be used to try to control the detrusor. Consult with a doctor before taking any of these medications because they might have serious side-effects if given in larger doses and if given when other specific health conditions are present.

In the end, there are also surgery procedures (sacral nerve stimulation, augmentation cystoplasty, and urinary diversion), which are recommended in very severe cases of overactive bladder syndrome.

You might want to visit a urologist to talk about the treatment options and pelvic floor exercises, if needed.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.